Smith Cove Event Center at Pier 91
October 19-21, 2012
The third Pro Tour of 2012 comes to the home of Magic: The Gathering in Seattle and features the debut of the new Return to Ravnica set on the premier-play stage. The top players from around the world will be in Seattle to battle for fame, glory, and cash prizes in the Modern Constructed and Return to Ravnica Booster Draft formats. Tune in for the three-day live webcast starting Friday morning for complete access to the Pro Tour: live match coverage, deck techs, the Pro Tour Hall of Fame Class of 2012 induction ceremony, behind-the-scenes interviews with R&D members, and much more!
- Pro Tour Return to Ravnica Invitation List
- Where to buy Magic: The Gathering in Seattle
- How to Earn a Pro Tour Invitation
The live video webcast for Pro Tour Return to Ravnica begins Friday morning and runs all three days, with Brian David-Marshall, Rich Hagon, Sheldon Menery, Rashad Miller, Zac Hill, and Marshall Sutcliffe calling the action. The live video stream can be found at www.wizards.com/webcast and twitch.tv/magicprotour. Check out the schedule below to find the start time in your area (start times approximate):
|Seattle||9 a.m.||9 a.m.||10:45 a.m.|
|Los Angeles||9 a.m.||9 a.m.||10:45 a.m.|
|Chicago||11 a.m.||11 a.m.||12:45 p.m.|
|New York||Noon||Noon||1:45 p.m.|
|Rio de Janeiro||1 p.m.||1 p.m.||2:45 p.m.|
|London||5 p.m.||5 p.m.||6:45 p.m.|
|Paris||6 p.m.||6 p.m.||7:45 p.m.|
|Berlin||6 p.m.||6 p.m.||7:45 p.m.|
|Moscow||8 p.m.||8 p.m.||9:45 p.m.|
|Tokyo||1 a.m. Saturday||1 a.m. Sunday||2:45 a.m. Monday|
|Sydney||2 a.m. Saturday||2 a.m. Sunday||3:45 a.m. Monday|
More Event Coverage
In addition to the live video stream, text coverage will be available at DailyMTG.com starting Friday morning, live chat sessions with players, R&D staff, and coverage reporters will take place at various times during the three days on CoverItLive, and video content will be posted to YouTube on the wizardsmtg channel.
The official Twitter hashtag for Pro Tour Return to Ravnica is #ptrtr.
The Pro Tour Social Network
We know you’re a fan of Magic: The Gathering; now you can make it official! Check out Magic on Facebook: become a fan, find out about new updates to Magic and the Pro Tour, view exclusive photos, share your story with the community, and more!
Pro Tour Return to Ravnica also features the Fantasy Pro Tour on Facebook. Pick your roster of cards by type and earn points based on how many times those cards show up in decks that record at least 18 points in the 10 Constructed rounds of Swiss play. Compete against your friends to see who can best predict the Block Constructed metagame! Season 3 of the Fantasy Pro Tour launches the week of October 1.
Please send an email to email@example.com if you wish to set up a media credential for Pro Tour Return to Ravnica. Wizards of the Coast asks that all media requests be submitted by October 5 (two weeks prior to the event). Requests made after that date, including requests made on-site, may be denied.
Media check-in will take place Thursday, October 18 from 3 p.m. - 8 p.m. at player registration (see below for information). If you cannot attend the check-in period, please make arrangements via the firstname.lastname@example.org email address prior to the event.
|Top 25 finishers also earn invitations and airfare to Pro Tour Gatecrash in Montreal. All prizes in U.S. Dollars. Prizes subject to change.|
Pro Tour Return to Ravnica is a three-day invitation-only Modern and Return to Ravnica Booster Draft format event with Modern Top 8.
A free shuttle will be running between Pier 91 and two downtown hotels: Hotel Andra (2000 4th Avenue) and the Hyatt at Olive 8 (1635 8th Avenue). Shuttles start running at 7 a.m. on Friday and Saturday, 8 a.m. on Sunday and run every half hour. The final shuttle will leave the event site approximately one hour after the end of each day's final round.
Parking is available at the event site and is free to players. Please stick to designated pedestrian walkways and paths at all times and be aware that this is a working pier.
Pier 91 is also accessible by Seattle Metro bus. Take bus number 19, 24 or 33 to Smith Cove Cruise Terminal 91. Request the stop on the Magnolia Bridge at Terminal 91. Depart bus on bridge, cross the street very carefully and walk down staircase to under the bridge. The Terminal 91 parking lot entrance will be below, please look for directional signage. Once you enter through the staffed gate, walk 10 minutes to the Cruise Terminal at far south end of the Pier. Use caution while walking as this is a working pier. Buses run about every 30 minutes.Tournament Hall Hours
The tournament hall is closed to the public. Each Pro Tour participant is allowed one guest. Security wristbands will be distributed at the entrance to the hall on Thursday during registration and Friday morning. For Pro Tour participants and their guests, the hall will be open at these times:
Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Single-card vendors Card Haus and Gaming Etc. will be at the Hotel Andra for player registration on Thursday and on-site starting Friday morning. To ensure specific card availability, we encourage players to contact these vendors in advance of the Pro Tour.
The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and Infraction & Penalty Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document.
- Modern and Return to Ravnica Booster Draft
- 3 Return to Ravnica boosters will be used for drafting
- Deck lists are required
- Check Magic Tournament Rules for Modern Constructed and Booster Draft format rules.
- Day 1 will consist of 5 rounds of Modern followed by 3 rounds of Booster Draft
- Day 2 will consist of 3 rounds of Booster Draft followed by 5 rounds of Modern
- 16 Swiss Rounds total, 55 minutes per round
- When time is called, the active player will finish the turn and five additional turns will be taken
- Stalling and slow play rules will be strictly enforced during the tournament.
- All players may participate in all 8 Swiss rounds of Friday's competition.
- Players with 12 or more match points after round 8 will advance to Saturday's competition.
- The top 8 players after round 16 will advance to Sunday’s Top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 will be Modern Constructed format
- Top 8 matches will be best 3 of 5
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- While there are no time limits in the Top 8, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 90 minutes.
- For the first game of each match in the Top 8, the player that finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each Top 8 match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game.)
- Planeswalker Points Multiplier 12x (Lifetime Total only), REL: Professional
- Players are required to use the same Modern Constructed deck for Day 1, Day 2, and the Top 8
- Players are responsible for knowing all DCI rules and high-level tournament rules.
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.: Player registration at Hotel Andra
7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m.: Player registration at event site
9 a.m.: Pro Tour Hall of Fame Class of 2012 Induction Ceremony
9:40 a.m.: Seating for player meeting posted
9:45 a.m.: Mandatory player meeting begins. Decklists are collected from player tables by judges.
10 a.m.: Day 1 play begins
8:55 a.m.: Day 2 pairings posted
9 a.m.: Day 2 play begins
10:30 a.m.: Finals players check in at the Top 8 area
11 a.m.: Single-elimination matches begin