Pro Tour Gatecrash is February 15-17, 2013, in Montreal, Quebec.
Qualifiers for Pro Tour Gatecrash start August 25, 2012 and run until December 16, 2012. Check the Event Locator to find an event near you that could earn you an invitation to Pro Tour Gatecrash. Pro Tour Qualifiers offer a Planeswalker Points multiplier of 5x, making them prime opportunities to add to your Planeswalker Point totals.
Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifiers will be run as well, so if you can't make it to an event near you, there's still a chance for you to qualify! Complete information on Magic Online qualifiers can be found here.
Your input is critical to help us improve the quality of our events! We therefore want to give you the opportunity to let us know about your Pro Tour Qualifier experience. Please click here and provide us with the date and location of the event(s) you participated in and a brief description of your experience.
Your feedback is very valuable, thank you in advance for your time!
- Pro Tour Qualifier Schedule
- Pro Tour Players Club - Silver Level Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifier: Gatecrash (December 16)
- Pro Tour Players Club - Gold Level Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifier: Gatecrash (December 16)
If you have won a qualifier for Pro Tour Gatecrash, information about your travel award can be found here.
All players are eligible to play in qualifiers for Pro Tour Gatecrash except the following:
- Players who have won a qualifier for Pro Tour Gatecrash (including Magic Online Pro Tour Gatecrash qualifiers)
- Players who finished in the top 4 of an individual-format Grand Prix that offers invitations to Pro Tour Gatecrash
- Players who are members of a top 2 finishing team in a team-format Grand Prix that offers invitations to Pro Tour Gatecrash
- Players who finished in the top 25 of Pro Tour Return to Ravnica
- Players with a 2012-2013 Pro Tour Players Club Platinum level
Complete information about invitations to Pro Tours can be found in the 2012 Magic: The Gathering Premier Invitation Policy .
The structure for qualifier tournaments feeding Pro Tour Gatecrash will be modified Swiss-style, with top players after the Swiss rounds playing in a single-elimination playoff for prizes and invitation(s).
- Swiss Rounds: Sealed Deck, Single-elimination playoff: Booster Draft
- For qualifiers held prior to October 5, 2012, the product used will be 6 boosters of Magic 2013 for the Swiss rounds and 3 boosters of Magic 2013 for the Single-elimination playoff booster draft.
- For qualifiers held October 5, 2012 or later, the product used will be 6 boosters of Return to Ravnica for the Swiss rounds and 3 boosters of Return to Ravnica for the Single-elimination playoff booster draft.
- If product is not security stamped or pre-registered, a deck registration and deck swap will be performed prior to the Swiss Sealed Deck.
- Swiss rounds will each be 50 minutes in length
- Single-elimination matches will have no time limit.
- Number of Swiss rounds based on attendance according to the following chart:
Attendance Number of
Playoff 8 3 (single elimination) None 9-16 4 Top 8 17 - 32 5 Top 8 33 - 64 6 Top 8 65 - 128 7 Top 8 129 - 226 8 Top 8 227 - 409 9 Top 8 410 or higher 10 Top 8
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds.
- The top players after the final Swiss round will advance to the single-elimination playoff. The number of players that advanced to the playoff is based on the number of players in the event (see chart above)
- Playoff matches will be best 2 of 3
- Playoff matches will be single-elimination
- The players in the playoff will be seated randomly at the draft table immediately prior to drafting
- The playoff bracket will be determined using this random seating
- While there are no time limits in the playoff rounds, players are expected to play at a reasonable pace and finish their matches within 60 minutes
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
- For the first game of each playoff match, the player who finished higher in the Swiss rounds chooses either to play first or to play second. For subsequent games in each playoff match, the usual Play/Draw rule applies (loser of the previous game decides whether to play first in the next game).
- Planeswalker Points multiplier 5x, REL: Competitive
- The Magic: The Gathering Tournament Rules and Magic: The Gathering Infraction Procedure Guide are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Entry fee varies from location to location. Check with local organizer for specific information.
- The winner of each event will receive an invitation and travel award* to Pro Tour Gatecrash
- Other prizes are determined by the organizer of each event. Contact the organizer for additional details.
- In North and South America, access the Knowledge Base
- In all other areas, go to the Global Contact Information page
The players eligible to receive a travel award will receive instructions from Wizards of the Coast regarding whom they must contact and the deadline by which they must arrange their travel awards. Wizards of the Coast will not refund travel made outside this service. Wizards of the Coast reserves the right to award a cash equivalent award in lieu of any travel award in its sole discretion.
All travel itineraries must be from the international airport nearest the player's home and to the host city of the Pro Tour, and must include all the dates of that event. No award will be substituted if member is unable to participate. All other expenses are the responsibility of the member and may include, without limitation, accommodations, ground transportation, taxes, itinerary change fees, passport and visa fees.
This award must be redeemed through member's arrangement of travel itinerary no later than (30) days before departure. Failure to complete travel arrangements as directed by Wizards of the Coast prior to this deadline will result in forfeiture of the award. Every member receiving a travel award must provide to Wizards of the Coast an executed liability release, the appropriate US taxation form (W9 or W8) (or have one on file), current contact information (https://webapp.wizards.com/login.aspx), proof of ID and passport (when required by international destination). In all cases, all such documentation must be provided to Wizards of the Coast, or previously on file, at least thirty (30) days before departure. Failure to timely provide such documentation will result in forfeiture of the award.
Players under the age of eighteen (18) at the time of the Pro Tour will receive a cash equivalent award in lieu of expenses, paid air ticket, and/or hotel accommodations. Such player must still attend, compete, and be listed in the finish of the tournament or forfeit this award.