14 & 15 October 2006Format: Sealed Deck
Stadio Eirinis & Filias
Pireas / Athens
Magic meets myth!Grand Prix are the most exciting events the DCI offers. They're high-energy and held around the world.
The main event is all about competition, but there are also plenty of other reasons to come. Grand Prix’s in Europe are true Magic events. Besides the main tournaments, there’s plenty of excitement throughout the weekend that you can enjoy… Side events, Magic artists on site to sign your Magic cards, gunslinging against the pro’s, and lots more…
Tournament Format And Schedule
- Tournament Format: Sealed Deck (Time Spiral tournament pack and 2 Time Spiral boosters)
- Participation Fee: € 30
- Preregistration: No pre-registration, the tournament is open for everyone.
Friday 13 October: from 4:00 to 8:00 P.M.
Saturday 14 October: from 8:00 to 9:00 A.M.
- Tournament begins: 10:00 A.M.. The Top 64 (or 128) players advance to compete on Sunday.
- Sunday 15 October: The top 64 (or 128) players begin play at 8:00 A.M. (Timespiral Boosterdraft)
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Athens is open to Magic players of all ages.
- Tournament Structure
- Modified Swiss-style (50-minute rounds).
- The Top 64 players (or 128 if 800 or more players registered for the main event) advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations.
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to the 1st Pro Tour in 2007
- Tournament Divisions and Prizes
There's the standard “main-tournament” prize schedule as well as a special “Amateur" prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players in addition to any winnings those players receive from the main tournament prize schedule. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
Main Tournament Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $2,400 2 $1,700 3 $1,200 4 $1,000 5-8 $800 9-16 $500 17-32 $250 Total: $17,500 Amateur Division Prize Schedule Finish Prize 1 $1,500 2 $1,000 3-4 $700 5-8 $400 9-16 $250 Total: $7,500
Pro Point Distribution
1st place: 8
2nd place: 6
3-4rd place: 5
5-8th place: 4
9-16th place: 3
17-32nd place: 2
33-64rd place: 1
A player is considered to have Amateur status if he or she has never participated in a Pro Tour or World Championship event. If a player has ever participated in a Pro Tour or World Championship event, that player no longer has Amateur status, may not participate in those tournaments which are limited to those with amateur status, and is not eligible for Amateur awards at tournaments which offer such awards. The top finishing players with Amateur status at the beginning of the tournament are eligible to receive these prizes.A team is considered to have Amateur status if all of the individual members of the team have Amateur status (i.e., all members of the team have never participated in a Pro Tour or World Championship event). Note: Players who had previously lost their amateur status due to have Pro Points earned only at Grand Prix events will have their amateur status reinstated.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 3 or higher
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 11, 2006.
- Players with a Players Club level of 2
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 11, 2006.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- DCI players with a Limited rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on DCI Limited ratings published on October 11, 2006.
People who win a Trial event are awarded 3 byes in the Grand Prix that it feeds. Trial byes are not cumulative with other byes and do not pass down.
Side Events:Click here for the side events schedule
Side entertainmentBesides the main tournament and plenty of side events, GP Athens has a lot to offer.
Get you cards signed!
Martina Pilcerova and John Avon will be on site throughout the weekend to sign your favorite cards.
- Pros will be available on Sunday for gunslinging
Are you courageous enough to challenge them? If the pleasure of playing is insufficient to motivate you, know that there are also boosters to win for those who are able to prevail in one of these friendly yet fierce confrontations. The following Pro's can be found regulary at the gunslinging table: Tiago Chan, Max Bracht, Raphaël Levy, Bernardo Da Costa Cabral, Arnost Zidek, Antti Malin
- Win a trip to the first European GP in 2007
Fill in the contest voucher on site (Saturday only) and maybe you will win a trip to the first European Grand Prix of 2007 (travel + hotel) or one of the many other Magic prizes.
- Moxradio brings you the action… live!
Richard Hagon and Dave Sutcliffe bring you Pro interviews, strategy, match reports, updates, and commentary throughout the weekend.
- Buy your souvenir t-shirt on site
- Read all about GP Athens in the Gazetteer
- Want to be a Magic judge?
Then take a judge test on site and maybe you’ll be attending the next Grand Prix as a certified judge.
Travel Information:www.oasa.gr is the site for the public transportation company that controls buses, trams etc.
www.ametro.gr is the site for the Athens subway.
Contact InformationDo You have any comments or suggestions? Drop them in the Idea Box that you'll find at the tournament site.
For more information on the GP
Tel: +32 70/233.277