What's on your Magic: The Gathering Fantasy Pro Tour roster, and why?
Planeswalker: Garruk Relentless
Large Creature: Primeval Titan
Medium Creature: Phyrexian Metamorph
Small Creature: Snapcaster Mage
Instant: Mana Leak
Enchantment : Honor of the Pure
Artifact: Sphere of the Suns
Nonbasic Land: Seachrome Coast
Pro Tour Player: Patrick Chapin
Quick rundown of my picks:
- Garruk Relentless might be the most powerful planeswalker in Standard; it is also one of the easiest to cast and fits in with aggro and control plans.
- Primeval Titan has been the defining fatty for the entire time it's been around and I don't expect that to change now.
- People love Titans and discounts and breaking the color pie—Phyrexian Metamorph does all three while answering Thrun, the Last Troll and comboing well with Birthing Pod.
- Admittedly, Snapcaster Mage is much better in older formats with Brainstorm and Ancestral Recall to flashback; that doesn't mean it can't be the most powerful card in Standard.
- Seachrome Coast, Mana Leak, and Ponder are along for the ride in Snapcaster Mage– and Delver of Secrets–powered decks. Of course, Mana Leak and Ponder get played in the controlling blue decks as well.
- There are other enchantment options, but Honor of the Pure is the only one that is always a four-of in the decks it's in.
- Various swords, pikes, and living weapons are the high-profile artifact options, but Sphere of the Suns is a key cog in blue-based control decks and green-based ramp decks.
- Finally, Patrick Chapin himself informed me that he hasn't lost a Standard match in three years, so that seemed like an easy pick.
What's on your Magic: The Gathering Fantasy Pro Tour roster, and why? Click the Discuss link below to tell us your story and then see what everybody else has to say!