The Magic: The Gathering Grand Prix tournament series is an international circuit of large-scale Qualifier tournaments featuring $30,000 in cash prizes, invitations to the Pro Tour for the top 16 finishers, and exclusive foil promo cards for participants.
Grand Prix—Montreal is presented by Spellkeeper events
Montreal Congress Center
Room 210 A & E
201, avenue Viger Ouest
Friday, June 22: Registration from 7:00 P.M. – 10:00 P.M.
Saturday, June 23: Registration from 8:00 A.M – 10:00 A.M.
Tournament begins at 10:00 A.M. If less than 800 players participate in the event, the Top 64 players advance to competition on Sunday If 800 or more players participate, the top 128 advance to Sunday.
Sunday, June 24: The Top 64 (or 128) players begin play at 9:00 A.M.
Holiday Inn Select Montréal Downtown/Convention Centre
99 avenue Viger Ouest
Montreal, QC H2Z 1E9
(514) 878-9888 or toll free 1-888-878-9888
Please mention "MAG" to get our discounted hotel rate of $159.00 for 1 to 4 people. These rates are only good based on availability. This hotel is across the street from the Congress Center.
$35 (Canadian) or $30 US
All participants in the Grand Prix will be given a Time Spiral Tournament Pack, a Planar Chaos booster, and a Future Sight Booster
- Time Spiral block Constructed
- Deck lists are required
- Players must use the same deck on Day 2 that they used on Day 1
- Swiss rounds - 50 minutes per round
- Number of Swiss rounds on Day 1 based on attendance and the number of byes in the tournament, and will be announced at the beginning of Day 1
- Day 2 will have 6 Swiss rounds followed by a cut to a top 8
- All players may participate in all Swiss rounds of Day 1
- If the event has 799 participants or less, the Top 64 players advance to the second day of competition for prizes and invitations. If the event has 800 or more participants, the top 128 will advance to day 2.
- The top 8 players after the final Swiss round on Day 2 will advance to the top 8 single-elimination finals.
- Top 8 matches will be best 2 of 3
- Top 8 matches will have no time limit
- Where necessary, the standings after the Swiss rounds will still be used to determine final order in the standings.
The Head Judge for Grand Prix–Montreal will be Jason Ness.
If you wish to volunteer as a judge at Grand Prix–Montreal, please contact email@example.com
- 40K, REL 4
- All Universal Tournament Rules and Magic: the Gathering Floor Rules are in effect for this event unless specifically overruled by information in this Format Document
- Players must bring pen, paper, card sleeves and appropriate counters.
Invitations, Eligibility, and Prize Money
The main tournament at Grand Prix–Montreal is open to Magic players of all ages.
In the event that a player who wins an invitation to a Pro Tour stop at a Grand Prix has already qualified for an invitation, the invitation does not pass down under any circumstances. Previous qualification may be through a Qualifier tournament, through performance at a professional tournament, or by being an invited DCI player (valid upon the date of the official rank announcement for the appropriate professional tournament).
- All participants in the Grand Prix will receive a Spiritmonger exclusive Grand Prix foil card, while supplies last
- The top 16 Players will receive invitations to Pro Tour- VALENCIA.
- Grand Prix–Montreal will feature the standard “main-tournament” prize schedule as well as a special “Amateur" prize schedule. The Amateur prizes will be paid to the highest-finishing amateur players regardless of their standing in the Grand Prix. All prizes are in U.S. Dollars.
|Main Tournament Prize Schedule|
|Amateur Division Prize Schedule|
A player is considered to have amateur status if he or she has never participated in a Pro Tour or the World Championship. If a player has ever participated in one of these events, that player no longer has amateur status, may not participate in the Amateur Championship or Junior Super Series tournaments, and is not eligible for amateur awards at Grand Prix or other tournaments.
Tournament Byes (Byes are not cumulative throughout the season or year)
Byes will be given to players in the Grand Prix based on the following criteria:
- Players with a Players Club level of 3 or higher
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 2000 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Winners of Grand Prix–Montreal Trials
- Players with a Players Club level of 2
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1900 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
- Players with a Players Club level of 1
- DCI players with a Constructed rating of 1800 or higher. Byes do not pass down under any circumstances. Byes are based on the player's DCI Constructed rating on the Wednesday before the Grand Prix.
Grand Prix Trial
Friday, June 22
4:00 - 8:00 P.M.
Cost: $30.00 (Canadian) or $25.00 US
Format: Time Spiral Block Constructed, 32-person single-elimination flights
Location: Montreal Congress Center
Room 210 A
Prizes: Top Player in each flight receives a third round bye at the Grand Prix, product prizes
Other Grand Prix–Montreal Trials will be run throughout North America in the weeks leading up to the Grand Prix. Each offers at least 1 Third-Round bye to Grand Prix–Montreal.
Side events at Grand Prix–Montreal include a Pro Tour– Valencia Qualifier, plus many others.
A complete Grand Prix– Montreal side event schedule can be found here.
- Players who want more specific local tournament or registration information should call their local contact phone number.
- Players who have general questions about the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, Wizards of the Coast, Inc., the Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour, Arena–The League for Magic: The Gathering, DCI players’ organization, Qualifier tournaments, the Magic World Championships, National Championships, State/Provincial Championships, or Regionals should call Wizards of the Coast at (800) 324-6496, or send email to us via the form at http://wizards.custhelp.com.
Wizards of the Coast, Magic: The Gathering, Magic, Time Spiral, Planar Chaos, Future Sight, DCI, and Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour are trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc.