A New Kind of Column
Who is Magic Academy for?
Magic Academy assumes you can at least muddle your way through a game of Magic. So, it's for beginners that know at least the very basics, but not players that have never even seen the game or had it explained to them. If you're completely new to Magic, we suggest you go to playmagic.com to start your journey learning how to play the game. Once you know how to play, come back to Academy and we'll take it from there!
Magic Academy is also great for more experienced players that may not be familiar with all of the different resources available on the Internet, or for players interested in learning about the history of the game. Each article includes links to suggested reading on the week's topics, as well as links and advice on the many resources and widgets available on the official Wizards of the Coast site as well as others. Articles also often include references to the great plays (and blunders) of Magic's past as they relate to the lessons at hand. Regular readers of Magic Academy will learn about the game's rich history, become experts on all the best the web has to offer, and even get better at the game in the progress!
Coming Soon: Learn to play Magic in a simple, ten-lesson email course!
Table of Contents
- Article 1: "Instant Gratification" - Learning to save your instant-speed effects.
- Article 2: "Anatomy of a Magic Card" - Finding your way around the information on Magic cards.
- Article 3: "Building Your First Deck" - Helpful hints on constructing your first deck.
- Article 4: "The Dynamics of a Turn" - Understanding turn structure and how to use the stack.
- Article 5: "The Art of the Block" - Guidelines for when and how to block attacking creatures.
- Article 6: "Wax On, Wax Off" - Practical examples of blocking choices.
- Article 7: "We Got Da Beats" - The basics behind attacking.
- Article 8: "Practical Beatings" - Practical examples to practice your blocking decisions.
- Article 9: "Magic Jargon" - A guide to Magic lingo.
- Article 10: "Mulligan’s Island" - Exploring when to keep your opening hand.
- Article 11: "Introduction to Card Advantage" - Understanding one of Magic's most fundamental elements.
- Article 12: "Introduction to Tempo" - Guest lecturer Scott Johns talks tempo.
- Article 13: "Feeling a Draft" - An Introduction to 40-Card Decks
- Article 14: "Your First Sealed Deck" - An introduction to playing (and succeeding at) Sealed Deck.
- Article 15: "Getting Better at Sealed" - Building on basic Sealed Deck principles to improve your deckbuilding acumen.