Magic Online Announcements, December 1, 2020
What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
The next event in the Spotlight Cube Series is almost upon us! A full week of Core Set Cube starts today, November 24, after our return from downtime. The cube features iconic cards from every core set on Magic Online, from Seventh Edition to Core Set 2021 (including Magic Origins). Cube designer Harper O'Neill has more on this update of Core Set Cube in her article, as well as a full card list, available here!
For just this week, our Chaos Drafts are going to take only the top sets! Every set in this draft will be a Masters set, and it'll be glorious! Sets in this event include the following:
- Modern Masters
- Modern Masters 2
- Modern Masters 3
- Eternal Masters
- Iconic Masters
- Masters 25
- Ultimate Masters
- Double Masters
- Vintage Masters
For more info on MTGO Limited Events, click here.
The alternative play schedule that was announced in the Zendikar Rising set article has changed! Check out the latest schedule below.
- December 9–16: Supreme Draft: CHAOS! Combining the fun of Supreme Draft with Chaos Draft, you'll draft a deck from 18 different packs. Which packs? Who knows? Enjoy the chaos!
- December 16–23: Supreme Draft: Vintage Cube. What happens when you combine one of the most powerful formats ever with the most powerful Draft style? Yep. A week of that.
- December 23–January 13: Vintage Cube. Another update in, this time with Commander Legends cards in the mix. This is easily the most common request we get, so
. . .we hear you. More Vintage Cube. This will last for a few weeks, until . . .
- January 13–20: A brand-new addition to the Spotlight Cube Series. As usual, more details will come later, but this one promises to be a wheel of a good time.
- January 20–28: Vintage Masters Flashback. One of the most popular Draft formats of all time is back to round out Zendikar Rising season. We'll have a little more than a week of that, and then
. . .well, it's not quite time to talk about Kaldheim just yet.
On Friday, December 4, there will be a Modern Super Qualifier with a special start time of 2 p.m. PT! The entry fee is 40 MOCS Qualifier Points, 40 Event Tickets, or 400 Play Points. The top two finishers qualify for the Kaldheim Split Championship on MTG Arena.
Learn more about Super Qualifier events here.
Players looking to prove their mettle against the best players in Magic Online will want to use their QPs to enter Magic Online Champions Showcase (MOCS) events such as the returning Showcase Challenges this weekend. These MOCS events are a set of linked events designed to highlight the best players on Magic Online each season, culminating in the Champions Showcase and its prize pool of $70,000 and a Split Championship invitation.
First up on Saturday, December 5, we have the Standard (6 a.m. PT), Modern (8 a.m. PT), and Vintage (10 a.m. PT) Showcase Challenges. Then on Sunday, December 6, we finish off with the Pioneer (6 a.m. PT), Legacy (8 a.m. PT), and Zendikar Rising Sealed (9 a.m. PT) Showcase Challenges. Each of these events requires 40 QPs to enter. The Top 8 finishers from each event will earn a qualification token to enter the appropriate Showcase Qualifier in December.
Learn more about Showcase Challenge events here.
If you haven't earned an invite for the Format Showcase Qualifier of your choice, your final attempts to make it in will take place Sunday through Wednesday in the MOCS Showcase Last Chance Events. Players who finish with 5 wins will earn an Entry Token for the Showcase Qualifier in that format. Visit the Premier Play info page for more details.
Once Season 3's Qualifier Points (the black ones) expire next Wednesday morning Pacific time, all events and Leagues with QP prizes will provide 2021 Season 1 (orange) versions. Your first chance to use Season 1 QPs will be on January 9—an info page showing the new season's details will be available next week.
There will be new changes to QP earnings that will take effect on December 9. Those changes include:
- Number of rounds reduced from 5 to 4
- Minimum players reduced from 16 to 12
- Prize changes
- 4 Wins – 600 Play Points, 40 QP
- 3 Wins – 300 Play Points, 20 QP
- 2 Wins – 150 Play Points, 10 QP
- Treasure Chests will be awarded in Constructed
- 4 Wins – 5 Treasure Chests
- 3 Wins – 3 Treasure Chests
- 2 Wins – 1 Treasure Chest
- Treasure Chests will be awarded in Constructed
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats. To learn more about Premier Play qualification, click here.
Magic Online's Format Challenges now run once on Saturdays and once on Sundays for each Constructed format! On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge—Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place. NOTE: The Pauper Challenge is never pre-empted.
Check out this page for further event details.
The next downtime will be January 27, beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing until noon. This is for the release of Kaldheim. All times listed are Pacific time (UTC-8).