Magic Online Announcements, July 12, 2022
What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
We listened to your feedback regarding supply issues for key Pauper commons from Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate. To help cards flow to our most engaged Magic Online Pauper fans, we are granting two copies of each of 38 commons to a group of players as part of our weekly patch between 9–10 a.m. Pacific time tomorrow.
This grant will go to to all players who participated in one of the following:
- A Pauper League course anytime in 2022 until last Sunday, or
- A Pauper Premier event anytime from July 1, 2021 through last Sunday
The cards being granted are: Arms of Hadar, Atrocious Experiment, Bane's Invoker, Basilisk Gate, Bhaal's Invoker, Black Dragon Gate, Blessed Hippogriff, Blur, Breath Weapon, Bronze Walrus, Chain Devil, Circle of the Land Druid, Citadel Gate, Cliffgate, Cloak of the Bat, Cloakwood Swarmkeeper, Clockwork Fox, Decanter of Endless Water, Dire Mimic, Draconic Lore, Fang Dragon, Goggles of Night, Gray Slaad, Greatsword of Tyr, Heap Gate, Icewind Stalwart, Manor Gate, Mold Folk, Navigation Orb, Nefarious Imp, Nimblewright Schematic, Patron of the Arts, Prized Statue, Roving Harper, Sea Gate, Stirge, Sword Coast Serpent, and Winter Eladrin.
These cards will remain available in Treasure Chests as well.
Our newest set, Double Masters 2022, is now live in the game. Sealed, Draft, and Phantom Draft Leagues are available. Check out the release article to learn all about events, avatars (both for Streets of New Capenna and Double Masters 2022), and how Cryptic Spires will work in the game. Also be sure to check out the updated Treasure Chest info page.
Limited Preliminary events now feature Double Masters 2022. For the first time, players will be able to enter these events with Qualifier Points!
This is the Limited offering we mentioned back in April for players to use their excess QPs (especially all of those earned during the 20th Anniversary Series) due to our Premier Play gap in May.
Like other Masters offerings, the entry options are 45 Event Tickets and 450 Play Points. The third option is 45 MOCS Season 2 QPs.
Prizes are the same as regular-set Preliminaries—this is due to the ability to reinvest QPs into extra Preliminaries in addition to the normal Qualifier, Super Qualifier, and Showcase Challenge options.
Here's our schedule of upcoming Draft offerings:
- July 13–20: Dungeons & Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realms—Keeper
- July 20–27: Rise of the Eldrazi Flashback—Phantom
- July 27–August 3: War of the Spark—Keeper
- August 3–10: Khans of Tarkir Flashback—Phantom
- August 10–17: Core Set 2020—Keeper
- August 17–24: Time Spiral Remastered Flashback—Phantom
- August 24–31: Dominaria Flashback—Phantom
Flashback (Phantom) entry options: 10 Event Tickets; 100 Play Points; or 2 boosters of that set and 2 Event Tickets
Regular (Keeper) entry options: 12 Event Tickets; 120 Play Points; or 3 boosters of that set and 2 Event Tickets
League Times: Start 10 a.m. PT on first day; close (no new entries) 10 a.m. PT on last day; end (no new matches) 2 p.m. PT on last day
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats and provide excellent prizes for those looking to test their mettle in their favorite formats. Learn more about Premier Play qualification to get started today.
Magic Online's Format Challenges run once on Saturdays and once on Sundays for each Constructed format! On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge—Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place.
- Pauper, Vintage, and Standard Challenges are never pre-empted.
- Saturday Legacy Challenges require 32 players and give prizes to Top 32.
- Sunday Legacy Challenges require 64 players and give prizes to Top 64.
Check out the Magic Online Format Challenges page for further event details.
- Deranged Assistant and Millikin's mana abilities have been changed to work only at instant speed. This change is to prevent players from undoing the ability and then being unable to take further game actions.
- Greater Gargadon and other suspended cards will properly be able to be cast when the last time counter is removed.
- Greater Gargadon will be returned to Double Masters 2022 packs once the weekly patch is applied.
- Clockwork Fox will properly draw its controller two cards with its dies trigger.
- Sacred Ground will properly only trigger off opponent-controlled land destruction.
- Sacred Ground will be unbanned in all formats once the weekly patch is applied.
- Grafdigger's Cage and Weathered Runestone will interact correctly with Muxus, Goblin Grandee; Animist's Awakening; Depala, Pilot Exemplar; and Animal Magnetism.
The next scheduled downtime is planned for August 31, beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing until noon. All times listed are Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7).