Magic Online Announcements, July 26, 2022
What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
Following Showcase Challenge Weekend, your next opportunity to continue toward qualification for the Season 2 MOCS are the Last Chance Events. From Sunday afternoon through next Wednesday morning Pacific time, Preliminaries in the four Showcase Qualifier formats (Modern, Pioneer, Pauper, and Legacy) are replaced with Last Chance tournaments.
These five-round events cost either 30 Event Tickets plus 40 Qualifier Points, or 300 Play Points plus 40 QPs to enter. If you win all five matches, you will earn an Entry Token good for that format's Showcase Qualifier next month.
Note that Limited, Standard, and Vintage Preliminaries during this period will fire normally.
Learn more about Last Chance events here.
Players looking to prove their mettle against the best players in Magic Online will want to use their QPs to enter Magic Online Champions Showcase (MOCS) events such as the returning Showcase Challenges this weekend.
These MOCS events are a set of linked events designed to highlight the best players on Magic Online each season, culminating in the Champions Showcase and its prize pool of $70,000 and, starting with this season, invitations to the 2023 World Championship!
On Saturday, July 30, we have the Pauper Showcase Challenge at 8 a.m. PT (15:00), and we finish things off on Sunday, July 31, with the Legacy Showcase Challenge at 8 a.m. PT (15:00).
Each of these events requires 40 QPs to enter. The Top 8 finishers from each event will earn a qualification token to enter the appropriate Showcase Qualifier in August.
Due to the success of the 20th Anniversary Series, there are a larger-than-normal number of accounts that still have lots of Season 2 Qualifier Points. Those QPs were due to expire next week.
As a one-time change, we are going to extend the validity of those Season 2 QPs for two extra weeks to August 17! This permits you to continue entering Limited Preliminaries from August 3–17.
There are three types of events that accept these as entry:
- Limited Preliminaries featuring Double Masters 2022 (see item below):
- Through August 2, QP prizes will be Season 2.
- Starting August 3, QP prizes will be Season 3, usable only for other event types as normal.
- Season 3 Premier event schedules will be posted next week.
- Showcase Challenges July 30–31 (see item above)
- Showcase Last Chance Events July 31–August 3
Announcing the date and formats for the next MOCS Showcase—Season 2's ultimate event will be held on Saturday, October 8, and will feature Pioneer and Modern Cube as its formats.
Be sure to tune into twitch.tv/magic on that day to catch Magic Online's finest battle for their share of $70,000 in prizes and two invitations to the World Championship in 2023!
Here's our schedule of upcoming one-week Draft offerings:
- July 27–August 3: War of the Spark – Keeper
- August 3–10: Khans of Tarkir Flashback – Phantom
- August 10–17: Core Set 2020 – Keeper
- August 17–24: Time Spiral Remastered Flashback – Phantom
- August 24–31: Dominaria Flashback – Phantom
Flashback (Phantom) entry options: 10 Event Tickets; 100 Play Points; or 2 boosters of that set & 2 Event Tickets
Regular (Keeper) entry options: 12 Event Tickets; 120 Play Points; or 3 boosters of that set & 2 Event Tickets
League times: Start 10 a.m. PT on first day; close (no new entries) 10 a.m. PT on last day; end (no new matches) 2 p.m. PT on last day
Our newest set, Double Masters 2022, is now live in the game. Sealed, Draft, and Phantom Draft Leagues are available. Check out the release article to learn all about events, avatars (both for Streets of New Capenna and Double Masters 2022), and how Cryptic Spires will work in the game. Be sure to also check out the updated Treasure Chest info page.
Also, our Limited Preliminaries currently feature Double Masters 2022 with a special set of entry options: 45 Event Tickets, 450 Play Points, or 45 Season 2 MOCS Qualifier Points. The Season 2 QP entry option is available through August 17.
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats and provide excellent prizes for those looking to test their mettle in their favorite formats. Learn more about Premier Play qualification to get started today.
Magic Online's Format Challenges run once on Saturdays and once on Sundays for each Constructed format! On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge—Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place.
- Pauper, Vintage, and Standard Challenges are never pre-empted.
- Saturday Legacy Challenges require 32 players and give prizes to Top 32.
- Sunday Legacy Challenges require 64 players and give prizes to Top 64.
Check out the Magic Online Format Challenges page for further event details.
- Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger will correctly not cause life loss when a double-faced card with a land on its back face (Shatterskull Smashing, etc.) is discarded.
- While Trinisphere is on the battlefield, players will correctly be able to cast spells with casting cost XX when X equals either 0 or 1.
- Cards in exile that are foretold will correctly be revealed to all players at the end of the game.
- If Skyclave Apparition leaves the battlefield after it had exiled multiple permanents (usually due to meld, mutate, or Panharmonicon), it will correctly produce tokens with non-zero power and toughness.
- If you keep the same target for effects that change the target of a spell or ability, the game will correctly not trigger "becomes the target" abilities.
The next scheduled downtime is planned for August 31, beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing until noon. All times listed are Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7).