Magic Online Announcements, July 5, 2022
What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
Our newest set, Double Masters 2022 is now live in the game. Sealed, Draft, and Phantom Draft Leagues are available. Check out the release article tomorrow to learn all about events, avatars (both for Streets of New Capenna and Double Masters 2022), and how Cryptic Spires will work in the game. Also be sure to check out the updated Treasure Chest info page.
Limited Preliminary events now feature Double Masters 2022. For the first time, players will be able to enter these events with Qualifier Points!
This is the Limited offering we mentioned back in April for players to use their excess QPs (especially all of those earned during the 20th Anniversary Series) due to our Premier Play gap in May.
Like other Masters offerings, the entry options are 45 Event Tickets and 450 Play Points. The third option is 45 MOCS Season 2 QPs.
Prizes are the same as regular-set Preliminaries—this is due to the ability to reinvest QPs into extra Preliminaries in addition to the normal Qualifier, Super Qualifier, and Showcase Challenge options.
The qualifying season for the first tabletop Regional Championships is now underway. On Magic Online, that means the return of Qualifier and Super Qualifier events!
These tournaments offer the same great digital prizes, as well as Leaderboard Points for those vying for At-Large seats to the Season 2 Champions Showcase. We have expanded the number of invitations awarded from these events—two from Qualifiers and four from Super Qualifiers. If you win an invite, you'll get entry to the Regional Championship in the fall served by your home country.
The schedule for this weekend's Qualifiers/Super Qualifiers is shown below. It's another tripleheader weekend!
|Date||Time (PT)||Time (UTC)||Event||Format||Invitation|
|Friday, July 8, 2022||2:00 p.m.||21:00||Limited Qualifier||SNC Limited||Regional Championship (Tabletop)|
|Saturday, July 9, 2022||1:00 a.m.||08:00||Limited Qualifier||SNC Limited||Regional Championship (Tabletop)|
|Sunday, July 10, 2022||7:00 a.m.||14:00||Limited Super Qualifier||SNC Limited||Regional Championship (Tabletop)|
Additional events will be announced in late July or early August. For more details on these events (including important details on passdown invations), click here.
We are aware that the rollout of Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate in Treasure Chests is causing supply issues for key Pauper commons. We upped their presence in Treasure Chests, but that hasn't been enough, so we are working on an alternate solution to address the supply issue as soon as we can. Keep an eye on Magic Online Twitter and this blog for updates.
As part of our continuing efforts to combat anticompetitive behavior in our Leagues with smaller populations, adjustments were made to the Vintage and Standard Leagues during downtime last week.
The prize payout has been flattened to decrease the value incentive for poor behavior:
- 5 wins – 140 Play Points, 5 Qualifier Points, and 5 Treasure Chests
- 4 wins – 120 PPs, 2 QPs, and 4 TC
- 3 wins – 100 PPs, 1 QP, and 1 TC
- 2 wins – 50 PPs and 1 TC
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats and provide excellent prizes for those looking to test their mettle in their favorite formats. Learn more about Premier Play qualification to get started today.
Magic Online's Format Challenges run once on Saturdays and once on Sundays for each Constructed format! On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge—Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place.
- Pauper, Vintage, and Standard Challenges are never pre-empted.
- Saturday Legacy Challenges require 32 players and give prizes to Top 32.
- Sunday Legacy Challenges require 64 players and give prizes to Top 64.
Check out the Magic Online Format Challenges page for further event details.
- Several issues involving Cryptic Spires have been fixed:
- In Sealed deck building, the card count will no longer increase by 2 when putting Cryptic Spires into your deck.
- Cryptic Spires will display the pin lines of the chosen colors on the battlefield (consistent with appearance in deck building).
- The preview pane will show the chosen colors of Cryptic Spires in blue text.
- Creature tokens by Adeline, Resplendent Cathar will be able to attack planeswalkers.
- If you control The Ozolith, it will correctly trigger when creatures are put on the top or bottom of your library.
- Grafdigger's Cage and Weathered Runestone will correctly keep creature cards from entering the battlefield from libraries after being revealed by certain spells.
- Double-faced cards with artifacts on the back face that are in graveyards will correctly no longer be affected by spells returning all artifacts to the battlefield.
- Ranar the Ever-Watchful will correctly no longer trigger when opponents exile permanents.
- Hullbreacher will interact correctly with effects that have each player draw a card, then discard a card (create a Treasure for each opponent, then loot once).
The next downtime will be August 31, beginning at 9 a.m. and continuing until noon. All times listed are Pacific Daylight Time (UTC-7).