What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Check Back Tomorrow for Legendary Cube Updates
- The Year of Modern Flashbacks Add Guildpact
- Upcoming Power 9 Challenge March 26
- Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
- Extended Downtime for March 23, 2016
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Ask us anything on the Magic Online Tumblr!
- Download Magic Online
Check Back Tomorrow for Legendary Cube Updates
Check back tomorrow for details on the return of the Legendary Cube and what the cube will look like in its new incarnation.
The Year of Modern Flashbacks Add Guildpact
It's 2016: The Year of Modern Flashbacks! If you want to build up a collection for Modern, these Flashback Drafts add everything you draft to your collection once the event is over. Even if Modern isn't your thing, you can enjoy a leisurely draft through the planes of the past with rotating formats each week!
Ravnica-Ravnica-Guildpact Flashback Drafts begin after the Wednesday, March 23 downtime and run until Wednesday, March 30, at 5:00 a.m. PT (UTC-7), and are followed up by full Ravnica Block Flashbacks. Get the full schedule here and mark your calendar for the formats you're most excited about!
Upcoming Power 9 Challenge March 26
Play in the upcoming Power 9 Challenge on Saturday, March 26 for a chance to win a piece of the Power Nine!
Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, there's a double Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) weekend coming up! Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries and the Oath of the Gatewatch-Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries begin Thursday, March 24, and run through Sunday, March 27.
Learn more about Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifiers here.
Extended Downtime for March 23, 2016
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, March 23, at 12:00 a.m. PT (19:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 2:45 a.m. PT (9:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 3:00 a.m. PT (10:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. PT (19:00 UTC)
- Duel Scene | Players should no longer experience lag when tapping cards.
- Cardset | The mana abilities of Commander's Sphere and Command Tower once again work as expected.
- Cardset | Myr Superion can again no longer be cast with mana from noncreature sources.
- Cardset | Lightning Storm’s activated ability once again works as expected.
- Duel Scene | Creatures tapped to help cast a spell with convoke no longer retain a green highlight after the spell is cast.
- Cardset | Containment Priest now works as expected. Notably, it will no longer exile itself if it enters the battlefield without being cast, nor will it exile a double-faced Magic Origins creature/planeswalker attempting to return to the battlefield as a planeswalker.
- Duel Scene | Activated abilities that require players to discard cards at random, such as those found on Ogre Shaman and Barbarian Bully, now actually require players to discard cards at random.
- Cardset | The targeting comments on Rolling Thunder and Electrolyze are now more clear.
- Cardset | Patrician’s Scorn can once again be cast for its alternative cost.
- Cardset | Players can once again use exiled split cards with Jester’s Scepter to counter an opponent’s split card.
- Cardset | Gaze of the Gorgon now properly destroys creatures again.
- Cardset | Players whose opening hand contains Gemstone Caverns and who are not playing first can once again choose to have Gemstone Caverns start the game on the battlefield with a luck counter.
- Cardset | Mizzix of the Izmagnus no longer causes spells with a variable in their mana cost to sometimes cost an incorrect amount of mana.
- Cardset | Players must once again pay the proper amount of mana to activate the abilities of Candelabra of Tawnos and Magus of the Candelabra.
- Cardset | Elemental Resonance now allows players to properly choose a color of mana for each hybrid symbol in the enchanted creature's cost.
- Cardset | Balduvian Fallen’s triggered ability now correctly increases its power when its controller pays its cumulative upkeep cost with either black or red mana.
- Cardset | Spells cast for a bestow cost are no longer incorrectly affected by spells or abilities that reduce the cost of creature spells.
- Cardset | When paying a cost that involves the snow mana symbol, mana from snow permanents is no longer removed from the player's mana pool without being applied to pay the cost.
- Cardset | Players who control Wort, the Raidmother and cast Burn at the Stake or Firecat Blitz may no longer pay the spell's conspire cost without tapping creatures.
- Duel Scene | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved, including a bug involving a player conceding while another player is making a mulligan decision.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
March 26—The Power Nine Challenge 11:00 a.m. PT (18:00 UTC)
March 26—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. PT (16:00 UTC)
March 27—Oath of the Gatewatch-Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. PT (14:00 UTC)
March 30–April 6—Year of Modern Flashbacks: Full Ravnica Block
April 9—Legacy Challenge 11:00 a.m. PT (18:00 UTC)
April 9—2016 Magic Online Championship Series Monthly Event 7:00 a.m. PT (14:00 UTC)
April 10—Oath of the Gatewatch-Battle for Zendikar Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. PT (14:00 UTC)