Magic Online Announcements, September 6, 2022
What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
Our latest set, Dominaria United, is now live. Check out the dedicated article to learn all about everything new with the release:
- Events, including the limited-time Best-of-One Draft League and Limited Challenges
- A revamp of Treasure Chests
- The latest suite of avatars
For the first time, Magic Online is running a Best-of-One Draft League. Until Thursday, September 15, join the draft queue and play until you get 7 wins or 3 losses. Full details, including prizes, are found in the Dominaria United article.
This league is perfect if you only have time for a quick game or two between classes, during lunch, before you head out, or after the kids are asleep. If this is your style, give this league a try!
Please note that this league will only be available for the first two weeks of Dominaria United's release, so get your reps in while you can.
The new set's two Commander Decks—Painbow and Legends' Legacy—join the Magic Online store starting Thursday at 10 a.m. PT (17:00 UTC). Painbow is a five-color deck led by Jared Carthalion, while Legends' Legacy is a red-white-black legendaries-matter deck led by Dihada, Binder of Wills. Each deck is $29.99 plus applicable taxes.
We have heard your feedback regarding card availability, particularly for cards that are only available via Treasure Chests. To help improve card availability for cards not found in boosters, a new category within the Treasure Chest has been created: TC-Only.
Also, the Magic Online team has delivered on several dozen cards from Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate, including all Pauper cards with take the initiative, as well as a part of the group of Backgrounds and legends that can choose them. Furthermore, some important cards for Legacy and Commander from both this set (looking at you Kenku Artificer and Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes) and previous Commander sets (hello, Maddening Hex) are joining the game.
On both Saturday and Sunday, September 10 and 11, there will be a Dominaria United Sealed Super Qualifier—each with a start time of 7 a.m. PT (14:00 UTC). The entry fee is 40 MOCS Qualifier Points, 40 Event Tickets, or 400 Play Points. The top four finishers in each event qualify for the first tabletop Regional Championships in November and December.
Learn more about Super Qualifier events.
Format Challenges are the first step toward qualifying for Premier Play through your favorite Magic formats and provide excellent prizes for those looking to test their mettle in their favorite formats. Learn more about Premier Play qualification to get started today.
Magic Online's Format Challenges run once on Saturdays and once on Sundays for each Constructed format! On weekends featuring Showcase Challenge events, the Format Challenge that starts at either 6 a.m., 8 a.m., or 10 a.m. Pacific time is pre-empted by the Showcase Challenge—Format Challenges scheduled at other times remain in place.
- Pauper and Vintage Challenges are never pre-empted.
- Saturday Legacy Challenges require 32 players and give prizes to Top 32.
- Sunday Legacy Challenges require 64 players and give prizes to Top 64.
New for Dominaria United—Limited Challenges! Get the full details on Limited Challenges in the Dominaria United article.
- 32-Player events are 6 rounds with no playoff and require 32 players to fire.
- 64-Player events are 7 rounds with no playoff and require 64 players to fire.
|12:00 a.m.||Vintage Challenge|
|1:00 a.m.||NEW! 32-Player Limited Challenge||NEW! 32-Player Limited Challenge|
|2:00 a.m.||Pauper Challenge|
|4:00 a.m.||32-Player Legacy Challenge||Modern Challenge|
|6:00 a.m.||Standard Challenge||Pioneer Challenge|
|8:00 a.m.||Modern Challenge||Legacy Challenge|
|10:00 a.m.||Vintage Challenge||Pauper Challenge|
|12:00 p.m.||NEW! Limited Challenge||NEW! Limited Challenge|
|2:00 p.m.||Pioneer Challenge||Standard Challenge|
Check out the Magic Online Format Challenges page for further event details.
- Muxus, Goblin Grandee will correctly allow Goblins it finds to enter the battlefield untapped.
- Ruxa, Patient Professor will correctly limit its bonuses to creatures you control with no abilities.
- Winds of Abandon will correctly allow opponents to search their library.
- Faerie Miscreant has been removed from the Pauper ban list, and Lurrus of the Dream-Den has been reinstalled on the Pioneer ban list.
- Cards that sacrifice X permanents for an effect (Lonis, Cryptozoologist; Chatterfang, Squirrel General; Eliminate the Competition, et al.) will correctly allow permanents to be chosen to sacrifice.
The next scheduled downtime is planned for October 18, beginning at 9 a.m. PT (16:00 UTC).