What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Community Cup Recap
- Streamer Showdown on September 25
- Newly Updated Legacy Cube Events Beginning Tomorrow
- New Episode of Modern Super League Tonight
- Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Prerelease Event Details Coming Soon
- No PTQ Events This Weekend
- Prize Splitting Policy Update
- Extended Downtime for September 23, 2015
- Build Notes
- Ongoing and Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Community Cup Recap
Drama! Suspense! These emotions, plus many others, were all experienced during 2015 Community Cup that happened this past weekend. Check out the Community Cup At-A-Glance article for the details of how the event went down!
Because the Community Team emerged victorious, players who logged on during Community Cup weekend, September 19–20, will be receiving some awesome cards for their collections during the September 30 downtime.
Players will get one-each, premium and non-premium, of the John Avon Unhinged basic lands, plus a premium and non-premium version of Thalia, Guardian of Thraben!
Upcoming Streamer Showdown on September 25
If you've never seen a Streamer Showdown before, they come in two eight-player Draft pods that feature some of the best streamers in the community brawling with the latest Magic Online sets. If you're trying to improve your game, Magic Online streamers are some of the best players out there—and some of the best teachers, too. Even if you're already a Magic pro, throw your support behind one of the competitors and cheer them on from their Twitch chat!
This Streamer Showdown will feature a new version of the Legacy Cube! Check out the streamer lineup below, then stop by your favorite streamer's Twitch channel on Friday, September 25, at 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (UTC -7) for the latest Streamer Showdown.
Friday, September 25, 1:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -7) Event
- Cameron Aldous
- Marc Beck Konig
- Paul Cheon
- Athena Huey
- Neal Oliver
- Travis Sowers
- Marshall Sutcliffe
Friday, September 25, 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC -7) Event
Newly Updated Legacy Cube Events Beginning Tomorrow
Randy Buehler's latest article details the second round of updates to the Magic Online Legacy Cube. Check it out for a list of what's changed and a link to the full Cube list!
New Episode of Modern Super League Tonight
Every Tuesday through September 29, at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7), the newest episode of the Modern Super League's first season airs live on twitch.tv/magic. Check out Randy Buehler's latest article for a preview of tonight's matches!
If you missed it the first time around, Randy Buehler wrote an article that details how three Super League mini-seasons will qualify players for a Super League Championship later this year. Who will emerge as the Super League grand champion? Find out by watching along!
Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Prerelease Event Details Coming Soon
The Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Prerelease begins on Friday, October 9! We'll post full event details in the weeks to come. For now, enjoy a face-to-face Battle for Zendikar Prerelease at your local game store this weekend!
No PTQ Events This Weekend
No PTQ events this weekend on Magic Online. There are most likely Battle for Zendikar Prerelease events running at your local game store, though! Enjoy the new set and check back on Magic Online next week for another shot at the Pro Tour, as well as information about the Magic Online Battle for Zendikar Prerelease.
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Prize Splitting Policy Update
We'll be updating our prize splitting policy tomorrow, Wednesday, September 23. The updated portion of the policy can be found below.
"In the final round of an event, two players matched against each other may negotiate their match result to split whatever prizes are at stake between them, including (but not limited to) Qualifier Points and invitations. If an event cuts to a Top 8 playoff, the final round is defined as the last round of that playoff. Offering prizes outside those Magic Online would award based on the outcome of that match to the participants is still considered bribery, as is offering a prize split prior to the final round of an event.
All prize splits are done at the players' own risk, and Magic Online will not enforce any agreed-upon splits in any situation."
Again, this change will be taking place tomorrow, during the downtime. Players will be able to find the updated text on the Magic Online User Agreement page.
Extended Downtime for September 23, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, September 23, at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
We are constantly looking at the algorithms behind how our events run to ensure our events are as fair, fun, and competitive as possible. Earlier this year, we updated our Swiss pairing system to dramatically reduce the chance players would be paired against the same opponent more than once. It’s also now virtually impossible for a player to receive multiple byes in the same event. We also implemented a change that reduced the chance of a player getting paired down too far, so for example, a player with three wins shouldn’t be paired against a player with a single win. Tomorrow’s downtime brings two more important changes to the algorithm that handles pairing in Swiss events.
The first important change is that, starting tomorrow, if an odd number of players have a given record it will be highly unlikely more than one player from that bracket will get paired down. For example, if a large Swiss event had 11 players left at 2-0, two or three of those players might previously have been matched against a player with a 1-1 record. Now, exactly one of those players should be paired down except in very rare situations.
The second important change has to do with Premier Swiss events. Previously, when a player needed to be paired down, we would look at the highest ranked player between players with the same record, and that player would be paired down against the lowest ranked player in the lower bracket. With our new changes, using the same example event where 11 players are 2-0, now the lowest ranked player in the 2-0 bracket will be paired against the highest ranked player in the 1-1 bracket. If those two players have already been paired in the event, the player with the next highest tiebreaker in the 2-0 bracket will be paired down instead.
- General | A warning message referring to Planeswalker-format (gold-bordered) cards no longer appears as Magic Online loads.
- General | The Magic Online End User Licensing Agreement has been updated to clarify prohibited prize splitting.
- General | All confirmation pages displayed after purchasing an account now correctly show Magic Origins cards.
- General | During Swiss rounds, at most one player with any given record will now be paired down when an odd number of players have that record.
- General | Several bugs not listed elsewhere that caused crashes have been resolved. Additionally, the following actions no longer result in a crash:
- Using an "Add to Trade" function to add more of an object to a trade than exist in the binder.
- Deleting all the text in the Country field in Account Settings.
- A rare scenario involving trading during a draft event.
- Removing cards from a trade that were added using the Search Tool.
- A rare scenario involving changing filters in the Collection Scene.
- Duel Scene | Opening an Event Details window or joining an event will no longer undock chat from a game window.
- Duel Scene | Players can once again sideboard during matches using the Planeswalker (gold-bordered cards) format.
- Duel Scene | Players can no longer return to the sideboarding window after being disconnected between games of a match if a deck has already been submitted.
- Duel Scene | Game replays now correctly identify the winning player in the game log.
- Collection | When cards are added to a player's collection, the accompanying display window is once again correctly sorted by rarity.
- Collection | Characters that cannot be used in Windows file names can no longer be used in deck names.
- Collection | An issue that caused memory issues and crashes for players with extremely large collections has been resolved.
- Collection | Players can no longer add non-collectable cards to a new deck.
- Collection | Right-clicking a card’s quantity counter now displays the appropriate menu.
- Collection | Sort orders, such as "Sort by Rarity", will now persist between Magic Online sessions. Sort orders will also persist between games in a match when sideboarding.
- Collection | Players will no longer be presented with menu options to add sealed product not in their collection to a deck or binder.
- Collection | Adding prerelease items to the Wish List now displays a warning message, as these objects are untradeable.
- Collection | Players can now use "Add to Wish List" functions with tradable non-card objects.
- Collection | Decks created in a Phantom event can now correctly be used in the Freeform format.
- Collection | Players should once again not be able to create binders that exceed the 50,000 object limit.
- Collection | Players can once again add lands during Limited deckbuilding by double-clicking basic land images in the “Add Lands” dialog box.
- Trade | A memory leak issue has been resolved that was related to successive trades involving large binders.
- Trade | A display issue that incorrectly caused a filter reset to alter the card display count has been resolved.
- Trade | Changing sort order will no longer cause empty card piles to disappear from a partner's trade binder.
- Trade | Objects that cannot be traded can no longer be added to trade binders. Attempting to add these objects to a binder now displays a warning message.
Look and Feel
- General | The image that displays as Magic Online loads now always appears properly.
Ongoing and Upcoming Events
Now–September 23—Time Spiral Flashback Event
September 23–October 9—Legacy Cube Events
September 30–October 2—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
September 30–October 3—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
October 3—Modern Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
October 4—Magic Origins Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
October 21–23—Season 10 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries
October 24—Season 10 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)