Today we are announcing not only a number of new sets and products coming out in the next year, but also our new way to roll out those announcements.
Let's start with the exciting part—the announcements of six new products and one new way to buy an already announced product (click the links for full product information):
- "Invent your Tomorrow" as we explore the plane we first caught a glimpse of in Magic Origins—Chandra's home plane of Kaladesh. Imagination, invention, and ingenuity await when we debut Kaladesh at PAX West on September 2, 2016, and release it in stores September 30, 2016.
- In the follow-up to Kaladesh, "It's Time to Take the Power Back" with Aether Revolt. Ingenuity will only get you so far when the revolt comes. Releasing January 20, 2017.
- With Kaladesh come new ways to experience Magic. Mark Rosewater introduces and explains the new Bundle and Planeswalker Deck in his latest article.
- Magic: The Gathering—Commander (2016 Edition) introduces a twist players have long clamored for—four-color legendary commanders. Choose your champion when the latest in the Commander series releases on November 11, 2016.
- Much like Duel Decks: Anthology, the upcoming Planechase Anthology will gather previous Planechase products together in one convenient package. Planechase lets you travel from plane to plane as you battle your friends and foes—and now you can own every planar card ever printed, available November 25, 2016.
- Relive the battle between Zendikar's protector and its would-be destroyer. Duel Decks: Nissa vs. Ob Nixilis pits two of the Multiverse's most powerful Planeswalkers against one another—just as they were in Magic Story. Releases September 2, 2016.
- Releasing with Conspiracy—Take the Crown, Magic players will be able to pick up a new Draft Pack in North American mass-market stores. The Draft Pack features three Booster Packs of the new Magic multiplayer Draft set, Conspiracy—Take the Crown. Pick one up on your way to your Conspiracy draft and get ready to start plotting against your fellow drafters. Look for Draft Packs in mass-market stores starting August 26 with an MSRP of $11.99.
That's quite a bit to take in all at once. It's going to be an exciting year for Magic.
But why did we announce it all at once?
We want our fans to know when to expect upcoming products to be revealed—and to see further into the future of Magic's release schedule.
Therefore, as of this announcement, we will have two major product announcements every year—one in the spring and one in the fall. In those announcements, we will announce the next block and any supplemental products that will be released during the next year or so.
You will also notice that the pages holding the full announcement details do not all contain every element you might be used to in a set announcement—particularly key art, localized set logos, some amount of text, or other graphic treatments. That is because, for some of these, we are announcing them before those items are finalized.
While we will occasionally announce certain products off-schedule, by and large almost all of our announcements will fit this schedule. You can look for the next Announcement Day in September. We will have more detail on the exact date of those announcements as we get closer to them.