With Kaladesh, we will be launching a playtest version of a new, easy-entry league system in stores around the world, with the goal of collecting feedback from stores for a full launch with Amonkhet.
The goal of the league is to foster league-style play with a low barrier to entry for newer players that can still be just as enjoyable for long-time fans of Limited.
The playtest version of the league will work as such:
- Players will open three booster packs and use those boosters to build a 30-card deck.
- The league will last four weeks.
- Every week, players will add a booster pack to their pool, rebuilding as often as players would like. Players can also add a booster after three losses.
- Matches consist of a single game. Each player gets one free mulligan at the start of the game.
- Players will play against each other, earning Planeswalker Points and, of course, bragging rights.
This playtest version of the league will be an opportunity for stores to provide feedback about the program. We'll then hold a preview season of the league during Aether Revolt, finally rolling out a full launch in stores with Amonkhet.
Stores will be able to participate in the league playtest soon, so get in touch with your store for more details.