It's fall, and just like the changing season, Standard has gone through its yearly rotation. This creates new dynamics as older sets move out of the format and new strategies and deck builds vie for dominance.
This is also a perfect time to host the Arena Open in Standard! The two-day event, running October 16–17, features fierce competition as players jockey to prove who is the best—and who will claim the top prize of $2,000!
So, start polishing up those new Standard decks, because this is your chance to prove your mastery of the latest sets and level up into the big leagues.
But before we get into the details:
- You must be 18 years or older to participate.
- Regional eligibility restrictions apply, void where prohibited.
- Receiving monetary rewards requires having or creating Wizards, DCI, and i-Payout accounts. (i-Payout accounts cannot be created in advance.)
- Refer to the official Terms and Conditions for complete details.
The Arena Open kicks off on Saturday, October 16, with Best-of-One and Best-of-Three matches in the Standard format. Everyone who participates will receive the Ominous Roost card sleeve!
Play Best-of-One matches: Seven wins earn you a qualification token for entry to the Day 2 competition.
Play Best-of-Three matches: Four wins earn you a qualification token for the Day 2 competition.
You may enter Day 1 events as many times as you'd like, but note that multiple Day 2 qualification tokens only count as one entry to Day 2.
- Format: Standard (Best-of-One) and Traditional Standard (Best-of-Three)
- Entry fee: 20,000 gold or 4,000 gems (both Best-of-One and Best-of-Three)
- Event start: October 16 at 6 a.m. PT (1300 UTC)
- Signup end: October 17 at 3 a.m. PT (1000 UTC). You'll have three hours to complete your current run, but you won't be able to join after this deadline. Matches in progress will be allowed to finish.
- Event end: October 17 at 6 a.m. PT (1300 UTC). No new matches begin after this time, but matches in progress will be allowed to finish.
- Entry reward: Ominous Roost card sleeve
|DAY 1: BEST-OF-ONE STANDARD|
|Match Record: 7 wins or 3 Losses|
|7 Wins||2,000 gems + Day 2 qualification token|
|6 Wins||1,600 gems|
|5 Wins||1,200 gems|
|4 Wins||800 gems|
|3 Wins||400 gems|
|0–2 Wins||No reward|
|DAY 1: BEST-OF-THREE TRADITIONAL STANDARD|
|Match Record: 4 wins or 1 loss|
|4 Wins||5,000 gems + Day 2 qualification token|
|3 Wins||5,000 gems|
|2 Wins||2,500 gems|
|1 Win||1,000 gems|
|0 Wins||No reward|
Day 2 brings raised stakes, with increased prizes and stiffer competition. The Day 2 format is Traditional Standard with Best-of-Three matches using sideboards and individual timers. Submit any legal Traditional Standard deck—you may even switch to a different deck from the one used during Day 1 matches.
You may only enter once on Day 2, even if you have qualified multiple times on Day 1.
- Format: Traditional Standard (Best-of-Three)
- Entry fee: Day 2 qualification token (earned on Day 1)
- Entry window: October 17, 6–8 a.m. PT (1300–1500 UTC). You must join during this two-hour window. You'll have until the event ends to complete your matches.
- Signup end: October 17 at 8 a.m. PT (1500 UTC).
- Event end: No new matches after October 17 at 5 p.m. PT (0000 UTC). All matches must begin by 6 p.m. PT (0100 UTC) to count.
|BEST-OF-THREE TRADITIONAL STANDARD|
|Match Record: 7 wins or 2 Losses|
|7 Wins||$2,000 + Qualifier Weekend invitation|
|5 Wins||20,000 gems|
|4 Wins||10,000 gems|
|3 Wins||6,000 gems|
|2 Wins||4,000 gems|
|1 Win||2,000 gems|
|0 Wins||No reward|
How many players can earn monetary rewards on Day 2?
As many as qualify! All players on Day 2 who earn six or seven wins are eligible to receive the monetary rewards.
Can I qualify for Day 2 multiple times?
No, qualifying multiple times will not grant you additional tokens for Day 2 participation. Players qualify for Day 2 by earning enough wins in Day 1 Best-of-One or Best-of-Three events.
What should I do if I encounter an issue during the Arena Open?
Contact Customer Service if you need assistance during the Arena Open. We are unable to provide support for in-game issues over social media (other than telling you to submit a ticket).
Please ensure you select "Qualifier Weekend/Arena Open Issues" as the reason you are contacting our support team.
I reached six/seven wins on Day 2 and earned a monetary reward
If you receive a monetary reward, we will contact you at the email address listed in your Wizards account to ask for your DCI Account and to provide instructions for activating your eWallet account with our partner i-Payout. If you already have an i-Payout account, we'll notify you of your prize.
Please check your email regularly after the Arena Open to ensure that you respond to our inquiry in a timely manner.
If you win a monetary reward and do not receive a reward email within 72 hours of completion of the Arena Open, please contact Customer Service.