Pro Tour Eldritch Moon will mark the end of the 2015–16 premier play season. In preparation for the start of the 2016–17 season, today we are announcing details regarding 2017's schedule for in-store and premier play events, changes to existing programs, and a new program based around teams.
As today's announcement involves a lot of detail, we have decided to break this announcement into three separate articles.
This section focuses on two topics tied together as programs built around supporting the lifestyle of our top Pro Tour competitors. Our goal with these changes is to better serve our top pro players with the resources we are allocating to support the pro lifestyle. We are announcing these changes a year in advance of when the changes go into effect so that players know what they are playing for at the start of the 2016–17 season.
- Changes to how Platinum's Grand Prix appearance fees are awarded, and a change to the hotel benefit offered to Platinum players for Pro Tours.
- The unveiling of the Magic Pro Tour Team Series, a new program to coincide with the Pro Tour that will begin with the 2017–18 season. This new program offers players an opportunity to register teams in a competition that takes place across all Pro Tours throughout the season for their share of a prize pool of $200,000. Scoring for the Team Series is based on a team's Pro Point earnings at the end of each Pro Tour, with top teams earning Pro Tour qualifications at the end of the season and the chance to participate in a team playoff final at the World Championship.
This section is broken up into three topics:
- Confirmation of the 2016 World Championship format, along with the event information page.
- 2017 World Championship information, including the date, location, prize pool, and how players can qualify.
- Updates to the Pro Tour Top 8 bracket and accompanying prize payout updates. This includes a modified single-elimination bracket that is seeded differently, awarding players for a good performance in the Swiss rounds, and prize payout updates that factor the new bracket into consideration.
This section highlights the following:
- The 2017 Grand Prix schedule, including dates and event formats, Team Unified Modern as a new addition, and Grand Prix in Las Vegas.
- The formats and dates for 2017's Preliminary Pro Tour Qualifiers and Regional Pro Tour Qualifiers.
- The dates and formats for 2017's World Magic Cup Qualifiers.
- The dates for all other larger-scale events taking place in 2017, including the Super Sunday Series Championship, Magic Online Championship, North America's Eternal Weekend, and Europe's Eternal Weekend.