First, a few rules: the questions assume sufficient mana to pay for things unless a specific amount of land or mana is stated. Any other permanents are irrelevant to the question (though I reserve the right to include irrelevant items just to be difficult). The basis for each question focuses on the two blocks legal during the current year plus a few general questions.
You may begin.
1. The converted mana cost of a Broodstar being played while you control nine artifacts is:
3. Controlling a player's turn with Mindslaver allows you to:
a) See the player's hand
b) See the player's face down permanents
c) Have the player concede
d) Have the player activate Lethal Vapors 1000 times
e) A, B, and D
a) The Platinum Angel is put into Paul's graveyard and Paul draws three cards, then the game ends.
b) The Platinum Angel is put into Cari's graveyard and Paul draws three cards, then the game ends.
c) The Platinum Angel takes 4 damage, Paul draws three cards, the Platinum Angel is put into Paul's graveyard, and the game ends.
d) The Platinum Angel takes 4 damage, Paul draws three cards, the Platinum Angel is put into Cari's graveyard, and the game ends.
e) The Platinum Angel takes 4 damage, Paul draws three cards, the Platinum Angel is put into Cari's graveyard, and the game continues.
5. Which of the following works well with Tooth and Nail?
6. Indestructible means:
a) Unable to be eliminated from play
b) Destruction effects are ignored
c) Destruction effect are prevented
d) Destruction effects are replaced by "do nothing"
e) None of the above
7. How many cards were reprinted in Darksteel?
e) It's impossible to successfully use Memnarch with a Transmuter in play
a) Yes, if you pay costs in the correct order
b) No, it's impossible
a) Yes, but the Bola will become unattached once the Elemental is activated
b) Yes, as often as you can untap the Elemental
c) No, the copied ability was created by the Elemental, not by the Bola, so it doesn’t have anything to unattach
d) No, you cannot unattach equipment from a creature you don't control
e) No, the Elemental cannot copy the granted ability
11. The Sunburst mechanic owes its origin to which card?
a) All the cards Eric sees
b) The top card of the library once the Serum Visions resolves
c) The top card of the library, the card just below that when Eric draws, and the top card once Eric is done scrying
d) The top card of the library, the card just below that when Eric draws
e) The top card of the library and the top card once Eric is done scrying
15. Nick has a large amount of mana and attacks Jay with a Myr Quadropod. Nick can deal lethal damage to Jay if he switches the Quadropod's power and toughness. Jay does not have any creatures to declare as blockers. When is the best time for Jay to play a Shock targeting the Quadropod?
a) Before declining to block
b) In response to Nick's first switch
c) After resolving the first switch but before stacking damage
d) After the first switch and after damage is stacked
e) After declaring no blockers, waiting for Nick to switch, resolving the switch and passing priority again
16. Which of the following creature types went extinct in 2004?
e) B and D
17. What major section of the rules was changed with the introduction of Champions of Kamigawa?
e) Winning and losing the game
18. Dan attacks with a Kashi-Tribe Reaver and Keiga, the Tide Star. Becky blocks with Kami of Old Stone and a 5/5 flying token. When Keiga's leaves play trigger resolves, Dan takes the Kami. Will Dan be able to untap the Kami on his turn?
a) Yes, of course
b) Yes, but only if he takes the Kami on his turn
c) No, the Kami is remains tapped until he skips an untap
d) No, the Kami untaps on Becky's turn since she controlled it
e) It's Dan's choice depending on how he stacks the triggers
a) The game goes to the end of that turn's second Main phase
b) The game goes to the End of Turn step
c) The game goes to the Cleanup step
d) The game goes to the next player's Beginning phase
e) The game goes to the next player's Untap step
20. In Magic terms, what is Arcane?
a) A type
b) A subtype
c) A spell type
d) A and C
e) B and C
21. State-based effects:
a) Are controlled by the active player
b) Are checked as the last action every turn
c) Are checked every step or phase
d) Destroy creatures with zero or less toughness
e) Constantly apply
22. What is the minimum number of minutes for a DCI sanctioned round of Magic?
b) 40 minutes
c) 50 minutes
d) 60 minutes
e) It's up to the tournament organizer
23. When is a spell or ability is put on the stack and considered played?
a) When announced
b) When costs are paid
c) When announced and when costs are paid respectively
d) Once the player has received priority
e) Once the player passes priority
24. Converted mana cost never changes.
Make sure your name is… oh wait, they didn't let me give you bubble forms to fill out. Ah well, maybe if we do well the school board will let us do more complicated tests in the future. I hope this year wasn't too grueling. I won't make any promises about 2005 though.
Enjoy your holidays (if you haven't already that is). For this column, the next two weeks will be special retro content (rather than pure reprint columns). I'll be back in January when we'll be handling your questions again and looking forward to the Betrayers of Kamigawa previews and prereleases.
Class dismissed. Happy holidays!