MagicFest is the biggest open Magic experience with multiple events around the world. These exciting three-day festivals of all that is Magic, feature a two-day Grand Prix tournament with thousands of dollars in cash prizes. Plus, you’ll find artist signings and more side events than you could possibly play in your most fevered Magic-induced dreams.
Each Grand Prix’s main event features one of a number of formats, including:
Side events, which take place all weekend concurrent with the main event, are run with any of these formats, plus a plethora of serious, casual, and even some wholly unique formats.
Prizes for the main event of a Grand Prix vary depending on the event. Each individual Grand Prix awards a prize purse of at least $35,000. Players are also awarded Pro Points for top finishes. The Top 8, along with everyone who earns at least 39 match points in the Swiss rounds, automatically earn invitations to an upcoming Mythic Championship. For Grand Prix prize details by event please visit the CFB Events page.
Every player will receive a promo card just for participating in the main event (while supplies last). In addition, Grand Prix main events award a multiplier of 8x for all Planeswalker Points earned, and side events carry a multiplier of 3x (or whichever multiplier is appropriate for the event type).
Additional prizes and promotions may vary.
Every Grand Prix is open to any and all participants, but there are some important rules to keep in mind.
- Day One is run at Competitive REL (Rules Enforcement Level); Day Two is run at Professional REL
- There are nine rounds on Day One and six rounds on Day Two for individual-format Grand Prix
- There are eight rounds on Day One and six rounds on Day Two for team-format Grand Prix
- In Individual Grand Prix: All players with 18 or more match points or all players tied for 64th place—whichever is greater—qualify to play on Day Two
- In Team Grand Prix: All teams with 18 or more match points or all teams tied for 40th place—whichever is greater—qualify to play on Day Two
- Swiss rounds are 50 minutes long and best two out of three matches
- The Top 8 players at the end of 15 rounds advance to the playoffs for individual-format Grand Prix; the Top 4 teams at the end of 14 rounds advance to the playoffs for team-format Grand Prix
- Playoff matches are best two out of three, single elimination, and untimed
Players can also earn up to three byes for a Grand Prix either by winning a Last-Chance Trial, having enough Planeswalker Points Seasonal Award Points, having a specific Pro Tour Players Club level, or being a member of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame.
Complete information about Grand Prix Byes can be found in the Magic: The Gathering Premier Event Invitation Policy.
Grand Prix Byes Award Criteria
A player may be awarded byes for an individual-format Grand Prix based on one or more of the following criteria:
- Winning a Last-Chance Trial.
- Having a sufficiently high number of Planeswalker Points Seasonal Award Points.
- Having a specific Pro Tour Players Club level (Bronze, Silver, Gold, or Platinum).
- Being a member of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame.
Grand Prix Bye Restrictions
Players can be awarded one-, two-, or three-round byes for individual-format Grand Prix. Byes are not cumulative within a given Grand Prix or from one Grand Prix to another. Byes may not be passed down to other players for any reason and are not transferable. Byes may not be deferred from one Grand Prix to another and must be earned each time. Players that accumulate multiple byes to a Grand Prix are awarded only the bye for the greatest number of rounds.
Byes earned through Planeswalker Points are calculated using the Planeswalker Point totals from all reported events as of the Tuesday immediately before the Grand Prix. Points earned in tournaments held at the Grand Prix event site do not count toward earned byes at that Grand Prix.
If a player is awarded a bye, he or she is considered to have earned 3 points in the Grand Prix for each of those rounds. Byes are not counted toward a player’s opponent’s match win percentage. Players with byes will usually have an advantage in tiebreakers over players that do not have byes.
Byes at Individual-format Grand Prix
For each Individual-format Grand Prix, byes are awarded as listed below. All listed criteria are as of the date of the specific Grand Prix:
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Gold or Platinum.
- Members of the Pro Tour Hall of Fame.
- Winners of Last-Chance Trial tournaments designated to award byes to that Grand Prix.
- Players who have accumulated at least 2,250 Planeswalker Points in the current Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 2,250 Planeswalker Points in the previous Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players with a Pro Tour Players Club level of Bronze or Silver.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,300 Planeswalker Points in the current Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
- Players who have accumulated at least 1,300 Planeswalker Points in the previous Planeswalker Points Yearly Award Season.
Note: Teams are not awarded byes in team-format Grand Prix.
READY TO PLAY?
With more than 50 Grand Prix held around the world, chances are good that you'll find one nearby. Check the Grand Prix schedule for the tournaments closest to you!
|Oakland||USA||Oakland Convention Center||January 4-6, 2019||Modern|
|Prague||Czech Republic||PVA EXPO PRAVA||January 11-13, 2019||Limited|
|New Jersey||USA||Meadowlands Exposition Center||January 25-27, 2019||Limited|
|Sydney||Australia||ICC Sydney||February 1-3, 2019||Limited|
|Toronto||Canada||Enercare Centre||February 8-10, 2019||Modern|
|Memphis||USA||Memphis Cook Convention Center||February 15-17, 2019||Standard|
|Strasbourg||France||Strasbourg Exhibition Centre||February 15-17, 2019||Limited|
|Cleveland||USA||Huntington Convention Center of Cleveland||February 22-24, 2019||Limited|
|Los Angeles||USA||Los Angeles Convention Center||March 1-3, 2019||Modern|
|Tampa Bay||USA||Tampa Convention Center||March 15-17, 2019||Modern|
|Bilbao||Spain||Bilbao Exhibition Centre||March 15-17, 2019||Modern|
|Kyoto||Japan||Pulse Plaza||March 22-24, 2019||Standard|
|Calgary||Canada||Calgary Telus Convention Centre||March 29-31, 2019||Modern|
|São Paulo April||Brazil||Expo Center Norte||April 12-14, 2019||Modern|
|Niagara Falls||USA||The Conference & Event Center Niagara Falls||April 19-21, 2019||Legacy|
|Yokohama||Japan||Pacifico Yokohama||April 19-21, 2019||Modern|
|London||England||ExCel London||April 26-28, 2019||Limited|
|Madison||USA||Alliant Energy Center||May 10-12, 2019||Limited|
|Providence||USA||Rhode Island Convention Center||May 24-26, 2019||Team Limited|
|Kansas City||USA||Overland Park Convention Cener||May 31-June 2, 2019||Standard|
|Taipei||Chinese Taipei||Expo Dome||June 7-9, 2019||Standard|
|Washington DC||USA||Dulles Expo Center||June 14-16, 2019||Limited|
|Copenhagen||Denmark||Bella Center||June 14-16, 2019||Limited|
|Seattle||USA||Washington State Convention Center||June 20-23, 2019||Limited|
|Dallas-Fort Worth||USA||Fort Worth Convention Center||June 28-30, 2019||Modern|
|Detroit||USA||Cobo Center||July 12-14, 2019||Limited|
|Krakow||Poland||Exo Krakow||July 12-14, 2019||Limited|
|Denver||USA||Crowne Plaza Denver Airport Convention Center||July 19-21, 2019||Standard|
|Barcelona||Spain||Fira Barcelona Gran Via||July 26-28, 2019||Modern|
|Chiba||Japan||Makuhari Messe||August 2-4, 2019||Limited|
|Minneapolis||USA||Minneapolis Convention Center||August 9-11, 2019||Modern|
|Birmingham||England||NEC, National Exhibition Centre||August 16-18, 2019||Modern|
|Las Vegas||USA||Las Vegas Convention Center||August 22-25, 2019||Modern|
|Las Vegas||USA||Las Vegas Convention Center||August 22-25, 2019||Limited|
|Indianapolis||USA||Indiana Convention Center||September 6-8, 2019||Team Modern|
|Ghent||Belgium||Flanders Expo||September 13-15, 2019||Team Modern|
|Atlanta||USA||Cobb Galleria Centre||September 20-22, 2019||Legacy|
|Montréal||Canada||Place Bonaventure||October 4-6, 2019||TBD|
|Utrecht||Netherlands||Jaarbeurs||October 11-13, 2019||TBD|
|Bangkok||Thailand||Central Plaza Ladprao||October 11-13, 2019||TBD|
|Phoenix||USA||Phoenix Convention Center||October 24-26, 2019||TBD|
|Lyon||France||Cité Internationale||November 1-3, 2019||TBD|
|Nagoya||Japan||Aichi Sky Expo (Aichi International Exhibition Centre)||November 1-3, 2019||TBD|
|Richmond||USA||Greater Richmond Convention Center||November 8-10, 2019||TBD|
|São Paulo November||Brazil||Expo Center Norte||November 15-17, 2019||TBD|
|Columbus||USA||Greater Columbus Convention Center||November 15-17, 2019||TBD|
|Bologna||Italy||Fiera Bologna||November 29-December 1, 2019||TBD|
|Brisbane||Australia||Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre||December 6-8, 2019||TBD|
|Oklahoma City||USA||Cox Convention Center||December 13-15, 2019||TBD|
|Portland||USA||Oregon Convention Center||December 20-22, 2019||TBD|