Hall of Fame
Take a trip into Magic's history by reading the player profiles of each class, including biographies, career highlights, and statistics, famous decklists, and videos from past Pro Tours and Worlds.
The Magic: The Gathering Hall of Fame will enshrine the most significant and influential competitors of the game. It will consist of an online museum dedicated to the Hall of Fame members, as well as Magic Hall of Fame Exhibit, which will be on display at selected events. Players will be voted into the Magic Hall of Fame on an annual basis by a select committee.
In order to have his or her name on the 2019 Hall of Fame selection ballot, a player must meet all 4 of the following requirements:
- The player must have 150 lifetime Professional Points as of June 21, 2019.
- The player must have a minimum of two Top Finishes (a Top Finish is defined as a 2012-present day World Championship Top 4, an individual Pro Tour Top 8, a team Pro Tour Top 4, a tabletop Mythic Championship Top 8, an Arena Mythic Championship Top 4, a Mythic Invitational Top 4, or a Magic Online Championship Top 4.)
- The player must have participated in his or her first Magic: The Gathering Pro Tour at least 10 seasons prior to the current voting year.
- The player must be in good standing with the DCI (e.g, not suspended or under investigation)
If a player receives votes on less than 10% of the returned, un-weighted ballots for three consecutive years of voting, that player shall be removed from the Hall of Fame selection ballot until they re-qualify pursuant to the process below.
A player may be added back to the Hall of Fame selection ballot if that player receives 4 Professional Points during the period from June 5, 2018 to June 21, 2019.
Selection of players for the Magic Hall of Fame will be conducted via the Hall of Fame vote. The Hall of Fame vote will be comprised of votes from the Selection Committee.
Each member of the Selection Committee will receive a ballot of eligible players based on the criteria set forth above. From that ballot, each member will select a maximum of 5 players.
Players who appear on at least 60% of the ballots will become members of the Magic Hall of Fame. In the event that no player appears on at least 60% of the weighted ballots, the player receiving the most votes will become a member of the Magic Hall of Fame. Newly elected members officially become members of the Magic Hall of Fame at the induction ceremony held at Mythic Championship VI in Richmond Virginia.
When voting, members of the Selection Committee shall use the following as the basis for their selections:
- Player's performances,
- Playing ability,
- Sportsmanship, and
- Contributions to the game in general
The Magic Hall of Fame Selection Committee is made up of approximately 350 members. All players with at least 150 lifetime Profession Points as of June 21, 2019 are automatically members of the Selection Committee. The remaining members are hand-picked by Wizards of the Coast on an annual basis and consist of:
- Luminaries of the history of Magic
- Longtime reporters and commentators of the Pro Tour
- High-level judges, scorekeepers, and similar tournament officials
- Certain administrative officials from the DCI, who have been responsible for the establishment of policy directly pertaining to the high-level competitive Magic tournaments
- Key Wizards employees with first-hand experience playing on the Pro Tour
- Members of the Magic: The Gathering Hall of Fame
- Other selected individuals associated Wizards of the Coast who have had occasion to directly observe and influence the Pro Tour
Currently suspended DCI Members are not eligible for membership in the Selection Committee.
The members of the Selection Committee will be made public. While the results of the voting will be made public, the votes of individual members of the Selection Committee will not be made public by Wizards of the Coast. Selection Committee members may choose (and are encouraged) to make their votes public.
The following rules apply to members of the Selection Committee:
- Selection Committee members who also appear on the ballot are not permitted to vote for themselves. Members are permitted to abstain from voting for the maximum number of players.
- Selection Committee members are required to avoid politics, unseemly behavior, or any other action that could harm the integrity of the voting process, as determined by Wizards of the Coast in its sole discretion. When in doubt, members are asked to think of their ballot as if it were the only one that counted.
- Selection Committee members are forbidden from selling or trading their votes.
Members of the Hall of Fame will receive the following benefits:
- Each Hall of Fame member will be enshrined in the Magic Hall of Fame Exhibit and the Magic Hall of Fame portion of the wizards.com website.
- In 2019, newly inducted Hall of Fame members will receive the official Pro Tour Hall of Fame ring.
- In 2019, Hall of Fame members-elect will receive airfare and hotel accommodation* to participate in Mythic Championship VI in Richmond, Virginia and attend the Magic Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
- Each Hall of Fame member will receive (1) an invitation to one (1) Players Tour event per Players Tour Finals, ( (2) a third-round bye at each individual-format Grand Prix in which the member participates, and (3) 35 QPs on Magic Online on the third Wednesday of each month.
Wizards of the Coast reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to revoke, reinstate, or otherwise alter the status of any Hall Fame member or Hall of Fame member-elect, to discontinue the Hall of Fame, to suspend or withhold an invitation and/or airfare and travel, and to change this document at any time without notice.
PROCEDURES AND RULES FOR RECEIVING BENEFITS
Beyond the eligibility and limitations previously outlined, members must adhere to the following rules and procedures to obtain their benefits.
In order to receive byes at an event, the member must fulfill all entry requirements for that tournament, including but not limited to, payment of applicable entry fee, presentation of identification, decklist, and signing consent forms.
In order to receive Invitations to Players Tour events, the member must fulfill all entry requirements for the applicable tournament, including but not limited to, payment of any entry fee, presentation of identification, decklist, and signing consent forms.
*Travel and Hotel Accommodation Limitations:
For information regarding travel and hotel accommodations, please review the Premier Event Invitation Policy which is incorporated into these rules by this reference.
In order to receive Magic Online benefits, a member must 1) be at least eighteen (18) years of age, 2) have a valid Magic Online account, and 3) be eligible to receive prizes pursuant to the Magic Online User Agreement. For more information on prize eligibility, please see the Magic Online User Agreement.
In the event a player is inducted into the Magic Hall of Fame, the AQP award benefit on the next scheduled award date. Please visit the Magic Online Championship Series information page for complete information on the Magic Online Championship Series program, Magic Online Championship Monthly and Playoff events, and Qualifier Points.