Hello everyone! We (that’s Wizards of the Coast) put together this page to ensure that our players understand how reward distribution and rarity work in Magic: The Gathering Arena. We believe that informed players are happy players and are committed to giving you as much transparency into our game as possible.
Below, we’ve outlined the different types of certain rewards (virtual items and currency) you can earn in MTG Arena and their respective distribution and drop rates. From time to time, we may run special events or promotions that provide additional or different rewards than those outlined below. We’ll publish information about the distribution and drop rates for those special events here.
Note: Below the distribution or drop rates are listed in the format of N:M where N is the relative number in M instances. For example, a rarity distribution of 1:20 means that you will likely acquire 1 item of that rarity in 20 instances.
MTG ARENA BOOSTER PACKS
Let’s start with booster packs! All cards in MTG Arena—including Wildcards—have an associated rarity level: Common, Uncommon, Rare, or Mythic. MTG Arena booster packs (“Packs”) contain 8 cards* with the following rarity distribution:
- 5 Commons
- 2 Uncommons
- 1 Mythic/Rare
Wildcards redeem for any card you choose of the same rarity. One card in each rarity card slot (Common, Uncommon, and Mythic/Rare) may redeem for a Wildcard of the same rarity at the following expected rates:
We understand that Wildcards are really helpful for players to round out their collections. Each Pack you open that does not redeem for a Wildcard of a particular rarity will increase the drop rate for Wildcards of that rarity for the next Pack. Once you acquire a Wildcard of that rarity from a Pack, the drop rates will reset to the base rate. The expected rate seen above represents that average number of packs needed to open to acquire 1 Wildcard of the respective rarity.
MTG ARENA ‘WIN’ REWARDS
When you win a game in MTG Arena—any game—you’ll receive certain rewards. Below are the distribution and drop rates for the “win” rewards you may receive in MTG Arena.
Daily Win Reward:
Every day players can earn gold or individual card rewards (ICRs) when they win a match (up to 15 wins/reward instances) in any game mode with the exception of Play if you queue with a deck that is non-standard legal, Direct Challenge, and Bot Matches. Daily Win Bonuses are counted for wins that occur 24 hours from server reset (3AM PST). The table below outlines the reward(s) associated with each incremental win:
The ICRs included in Daily Win Rewards are uncommon standard-legal cards*, each of which may upgrade to a rare card (1:10).Rare ICRs (including those obtained from upgraded uncommon ICRs) may upgrade to a mythic rare (1:8).
*Each Standard set is distributed equally.
NOTE: Event and Daily Win ICRs have different rates. See the Event section to view Event ICR rates.
The Set Mastery Track provides a variable number of current set booster packs based on the duration of the Set Mastery. Set Mastery length is variable and may be subject to change from set to set. Set Mastery Pass allows players to earn in-game content including:
- Booster Packs
- Rare and Mythic Rare Individual Card Rewards (ICRs)
- Card Sleeves
- Common and Uncommon Card Styles
- Orbs redeemable for Common, Uncommon, Rare, and Mythic Rare Card Styles
Eldraine Mastery Reward Tracks
The Set Mastery Tree
Using earned Orbs, the following Card Styles are available from the Set Mastery Reward Tree:
- Shining Armor
- Witching Well
- Giant’s Skewer
- Crystal Slipper
- Rosethorn Halberd
- Syr Alin, the Lion’s Claw
- Syr Elenora, the Discerning
- Syr Konrad, the Grim
- Syr Carah, the Bold
- Syr Faren, the Hengehammer
- Glass Casket
- Foulmire Knight
- Slaying Fire
- Kenrith’s Transformation
- Linden, the Steadfast Queen
- Gadwick, the Wizened
- Ayara, First of Locthwain
- Torbran, Thane of Red Fell
- Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
- Worthy Knight
- Fae of Wishes
- Murderous Rider
- Fervent Champion
- Lovestruck Beast
- Realm-Cloaked Giant
- The Royal Scions
- Rankle, Master of Pranks
- The Great Henge
An Event is a special game mode in MTG Arena. The structure, format, and rewards you can earn from an Event will vary. You can view what rewards you can earn by playing a particular Event on the Event’s page in MTG Arena. You can find a list of all current Events by selecting “Play” on the home screen and selecting the Event you wish to view. There you’ll find the distribution and drop rates of the Event rewards.
Certain Events also offer ICRs. Unless otherwise indicated in the Event description or Promotions page, Event Reward ICRs are either uncommon or rare standard-legal cards*.Rare ICRs (including those obtained from upgraded uncommon ICRs) may upgrade to a Mythic Rare (1:8).
*Each Standard set is distributed equally.
|#of Wins||ICR #1 Upgrade Rate||ICR #2 Upgrade Rate||ICR #3 Upgrade Rate|
TRADITIONAL CONSTRUCTED EVENT
|ICR #1 Upgrade Rate||ICR #2 Upgrade Rate||ICR #3 Upgrade Rate|
CONSTRUCTED SPECIALTY EVENTS
|ICR #1 Upgrade Rate||ICR #2 Upgrade Rate|
MTG ARENA WILDCARD REWARDS
Whenever you open a Pack in MTG Arena, you make progress toward earning Wildcards. We call this the “Wildcard Track”. You can view your Wildcard Track progress on the Packs page, found on the Navigation Bar. The Wildcard Track displays both an Uncommon Wildcard Track and the Rare/Mythic Wildcard Track:
These are displayed as two separate radials so that you can more easily understand the Wildcard Track reward cadences.
For each Pack you open, you earn 1 progress in both the Uncommon and the Rare/Mythic Wildcard Tracks. A WCR is triggered when you earn 6 progress on a track. When you fill your progress on the Wildcard Track, you earn a Wildcard Reward (“WCR”) and the Wildcard Track starts over again.
Additional information about the Wildcard Track:
- Uncommon Wildcard Track: Each player starts MTG Arena with 3 progress in the Uncommon Wildcard Track, so you can expect to earn your first uncommon WCR sooner than Rare/Mythic WCRs. That means you’ll earn your first Uncommon WCR after you open your third Pack.
- Rare/Mythic Wildcard Track: You’ll earn Rare WCRs at a greater frequency (4X) than Mythic WCRs. We’ve found that Rare WCRs are most needed by players to round out their collection, so we’ve created a system that redeems 4 Rare WCRs in a row before you will redeem your Mythic WCR.
MTG ARENA VAULT REWARDS SYSTEM
The Vault is an additional reward system that is triggered by progress. Players earn Vault Progress Points when they acquire a fifth copy of a particular common or uncommon card. For each card you acquire after your fourth copy, that card is converted into Vault Progress Points according to its rarity:
|Rarity of Duplicate Card||Progress Points|
The Vault opens when you reach 1000 Vault Progress Points and unlocks:
- 1 Mythic Wildcard
- 2 Rare Wildcards
- 3 Uncommon Wildcards
Note: the Vault is hidden until it has filled. When viewable, it can be found on the Packs screen.
If we make any changes to drop rates, we’ll be sure to post the new numbers here. Thanks for stopping by, and be sure to share your thoughts and questions with us on the forums.
Duplicate Protection is an additional reward system that is triggered by progress. When players would acquire a fifth copy of a particular rare or mythic rare card, the system will replace it with a rare or mythic rare card you have less than four copies of in your collection or gems depending on the circumstance:
Booster Packs (from the Store, Mastery System, etc.):
- If you open a rare or mythic rare card that you don't have four copies of, you receive the card.
- If you would open a rare or mythic rare card that you already have four copies of, the system will automatically replace it with a different card of the same rarity from that set.
- If you've collected all the rares and/or mythic rares in the set, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for rares, 40 Gems for mythic rares.
Limited Packs (Drafts and Sealed):
- Duplicate protection is not applied when you open a 14-card pack in a Limited Event - you will still see and be able to pick any rare or mythic rare card, even if you already have four copies of it in your collection.
- Once you have finished with your Draft picks or opened your Sealed packs, the system will convert any extra copies you may have received. Rares/mythic rares will become Gems, and commons/uncommons will go towards the Vault.
- Extra copies of cards will still be a part of your limited card pool for deckbuilding and participating in the event.
Individual Card Rewards (ICRs):
- If you receive a rare/mythic rare ICR you already have four copies of,the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for rares, 40 Gems for mythic Rares.
- If your receive an uncommon ICR that's upgraded to a rare or mythic rare, and you already already have four copies of the upgraded ICR, the card will be replaced with Gems: 20 Gems for Rares, 40 Gems for Mythic Rares.
- If you receive an Uncommon ICR and you already have four copies of it, the card will go towards the Vault.
- Unless otherwise indicated in the Event description or Promotions page, Event Reward ICRs are either uncommon or rare standard-legal cards*.