What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Modern Masters 2015 Edition and the Triple Grand Prix Weekend Are Almost Here
- R&D Feature: Modern Design, Modern Mastery
- Qualify for Pro Tour Battle For Zendikar
- Only One More Day for Tempest Remastered
- New Episode of Standard Super League Tonight
- Known Issue Around Trading Tempest Remastered Cards Scheduled for Fix
- Extended Downtime for May 27, 2015
- Known Issues for Modern Masters 2015 Edition
- Build Notes
- Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
The Modern Masters 2015 Edition Release and The Triple Grand Prix Weekend Are Almost Here
To give players an extra day to participate in Magic Online events and get to know the set before the triple Grand Prix Modern Masters Weekend kicks off, we've moved the Magic Online release of Modern Masters 2015 Edition up to this Thursday, May 28!
Check out the article for the full details on Release Events, including information on how players can win Modern Masters 2015 Edition booster packs in certain Queues and Dailies.
While you play in Modern Masters 2015 Edition events on Magic Online why not review some top-notch strategy and watch live coverage of the Triple Grand Prix weekend on twitch.tv/magic? With Grand Prix locations around the globe, you'll be able to watch nearly non-stop Magic coverage the whole weekend!
R&D Feature: Modern Design, Modern Mastery
Join us for another tale from R&D as Alli Medwin takes players behind the scenes of developing Modern Masters 2015 Edition on Magic Online. Alli talks about improvements to the graft mechanic, flavor changes to the way Eldrazi Spawn are produced, and even shares some delightful poetry, alongside a plethora of other updates to the Magic Online client.
Read the full article here.
Qualify for Pro Tour Battle For Zendikar
The Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifier schedule for Pro Tour Battle for Zendikar is now live. If you have hopes of qualifying for the Pro Tour, all from the comfort of your own home, now's the perfect time to jump in!
Learn more about the upcoming Magic Online Pro Tour Qualifier season.
Only One More Day for Tempest Remastered
Tempest Remastered is on-sale on Magic Online up until the Wednesday, May 27, downtime. Don't miss your chance to collect this awesome set and participate in Release Events!
New Episode of Standard Super League Tonight
Stop by tonight for a new episode of the Standard Super League! Each week a commentary team of two Magic Hall of Fame members, Randy Buehler and Luis Scott-Vargas, host a single-elimination eight-player tournament where they'll detail the twists and turns along the season's course. The League line-up of Standard experts combined with this commentary team are sure to make the upcoming season a great one. The Standard Super League airs Tuesday nights at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on twitch.tv/magic!
For a recap at what happened in last week's episode of the Standard Super League, head over to Randy Buehler's latest article.
Remember, we'll be posting each player's decklists for the upcoming episode of the Standard Super League to MTGO.com at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) so that viewers can follow along at home! Stop by tonight to get the week 5 decklists.
Known Issue Around Trading Tempest Remastered Cards Scheduled for Fix
We added a new known issue in the April 23 Bug Blog involving trading cards from Tempest Remastered. This issue is scheduled to be fixed in the Wednesday, May 27, Magic Online deployment.
The Tempest Remastered set is hidden if unowned. This means that if a player owns no Tempest Remastered cards, the Tempest Remastered filter cannot be selected as a possible format, even if the player has the quantity filter set to 0. Because of this issue, a player who doesn't own any Tempest Remastered cards cannot place any of those cards in their wishlist. This bug is scheduled to be fixed during the Wednesday, May 27 deployment. In the meantime, players can find a breakdown of how we expect this to affect trading Tempest Remastered. Thank you for your patience while we work on this!
Trading Tempest Remastered without using wishlists:
If a player who does not own any Tempest Remastered cards begins a trade with another player who has Tempest Remastered cards, then Tempest Remastered cards will be visible in the trade for both players.
- The player who did not own any Tempest Remastered cards is able to trade with that other player to get Tempest Remastered cards without issue.
- Once the trade is complete, the player who did not have any Tempest Remastered cards will now find that the Tempest Remastered filter in their collection is functional.
- Once the filter is functional, the player will only be able to see cards that they own.
Trading Tempest Remastered using a wishlist:
If a user owns no Tempest Remastered, the Tempest Remastered filter cannot be selected as a possible format, even if the player has the quantity filter set to 0. Because of this, a player who doesn't own any Tempest Remastered cards cannot place any of those cards in their wishlist. The only cards that can be added to the wishlist, are ones that a player already owns.
Extended Downtime for May 27, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, May 27, at midnight Pacific (7:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 2:45 a.m. Pacific (9:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC) until 1:00 p.m. Pacific (20:00 UTC)
Known Issues for the Modern Masters 2015 Edition Deployment
- Duel Scene| Be aware that the context menu for morph creatures and spells with evoke have been rearranged to list the basic “Cast” as the top option followed by evoke and morph options.
- Duel Scene | The prompt text where the card states "Choose up to X target... X is currently [#]." States 'zero' when the last valid target is clicked
- Duel Scene | Cannot search for 0 cost equipment with the triggered ability of Taj-Nar Swordsmith
- Duel Scene | Text in the prompt box when casting Commune with Nature reads “Cancel” instead of “No”
- Duel Scene | Necrogenesis continues to associate with cards it exiles
- Duel Scene | Incorrect text for the delayed triggered ability of Otherworldly Journey, does not mention the +1/+1 counter in text
- Duel Scene | Delayed triggered ability of Otherworldly Journey has missing association arrows with the exiled card
- Duel Scene | The prompt box text for Wayfarer's Bauble does not mention that the land enters the battlefield tapped
Card Mechanic Improvements
- Proliferate has been given a design update to make it clearer to the user what is being selected and what isn’t. Instead of choices being locked in, using proliferate will highlight available options, then changing to a green glow once a permanent or player has been selected. This visual indication will make selecting and deselecting while resolving proliferate much clearer for the user.
- Eldrazi Spawn tokens have been polished to ensure they will always appear correctly for the user, making those Nest Invaders proud of their Spawn.
- Soulshift has received an update, clarifying the user’s options when using cards like Scuttling Death and Thief of Hope.
- Specific type cycling has received a reworking to help illuminate the exact type of card the user is searching for. The more generic search prompt has been updated with details for the type of cycling that is occurring and will better inform the user of what they’re able to find.
- Annihilator, everyone’s favorite ability, has been improved. Users will now see Annihilator rules text on the stack when zooming on the ability trigger to help make it clear exactly what is happening without having to recheck the card responsible for the trigger.
- Sunburst now has more accurate blue text indicating that the spell was paid for with a particular number of mana colors. We wanted to put this important information in the right place to make it clear what is going to happen and why.
- Evoke’s context menus have been rearranged to ensure the “Cast with Evoke” option will be found below the “Cast” option, reducing the potential for misclicks.
- Kicker and multikicker have also been updated to make cards on the stack clearer for users. Spells with only one kicker cost will appear as “kicked” when appropriate costs are paid, while spells with multiple kicker options will specify which kicker costs were paid, and state how many times the spell was kicked as part of multikicker. To go along with these updates, the context menu for kicker and multikicker spells have been updated to add more definition about which costs to pay from kickers and rearranged to list the basic “Cast” as the top option followed by kicker payment options.
- The context menu for morph creatures and spells with evoke have been rearranged to list the basic “Cast” as the top option followed by evoke and morph options.
For more information about these Magic Online improvements, check MTGO.com for an article by Alli Medwin in which she discusses stories and improvements around the development of Modern Masters 2015 Edition on Magic Online.
- Collection | Tempest Remastered cards are now viewable if unowned by the player
- General | Our event pairing algorithm has been updated to better avoid situations where players get multiple byes in the same event. It has also been updated to better avoid players getting paired multiple times within the same event. While these types of situations can still occur in events that have been reduced to a small number of players, this update will make this type of situation less common.
- Replay | Replays of games now correctly identify the game number.
- Legality | Cards that have been moved to common in Modern Masters 2015 Edition are now legal for Pauper.
- General | Fixed a crash that would occasionally occur when a player resized the panes in certain areas of Collection.
- Duel Scene | When choosing a creature type, the types present on the battlefield are now displayed at the top of the list.
- KTK | Discard spells now properly require players to discard last card in hand if that card has Delve.
- Duel Scene | When controlling another player's turn with Mindslaver or Sorin Markov, you are now able to Undo actions.
- JOU | Daring Thief ability no longer hangs the game if only targets in play don't share a type.
- THS | Daxos of Meletis is able to correctly cast split cards using mana of any color.
- LRW | Wild Ricochet allows for changing targets on Blatant Thievery.
- DKA | Gravecrawler can now be cast from Graveyard with Aluren.
- C14 | The final loyalty ability of Jace, Architect of Thought can be properly activated on an opponent's turn with Teferi, Temporal Archmage emblem on the battlefield.
- NPH | Spellskite can now change targets of Satyr Firedancer's triggered ability.
- KTK | Arrow Storm damage, with raid is no longer prevented incorrectly by Deflecting Palm or Channel Harm.
- Duel Scene| Fixed a crash that was occurring due to colorless tokens being created.
- Duel Scene | Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when you played cards that split damage between multiple targets.
Look and Feel
- MM2 | The Eldrazi frame have been updated to the proper colorless frame.
- General | Each player has their hand properly highlighted when making mulligan decisions.
- General | Fixed an issue with art cropping on cards with alternate frames.
- General | Longer type lines on cards are now in the correct font size.
- Duel Scene | Power and Toughness for flip cards now correctly show changes when modified.
- Duel Scene | Flip cards with activated abilities on either side of the card will now display the correct version's ability on the stack.
- Duel Scene | When a flip card receives counters, the counters now appear in the correct orientation.
- TPR | Paladin en-Vec has been updated to have the correct art.
May 6-May 27—Tempest Remastered Events
June 3-June 5—Season 6 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries
June 6—Season 6 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
June 7—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
May 28-June 17—Modern Masters 2015 Edition Events
June 24-July 5—Modern Festival Events