What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Tempest Remastered Card Gallery and Lead Designer Interview
- Dragons of Tarkir Streaming Events Begin Tomorrow
- Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease Events Begin Friday, April 3
- Announcing Magic Online Championship Formats and Event Structure
- New Episode of Vintage Super League Tonight
- Implementing the New Commander Tuck Rule on Magic Online
- Dragons of Tarkir becomes Constructed-Legal April 1, 2015 on Magic Online
- Pro Tour Qualifiers Switch to Dragons of Tarkir
- Dragons of Tarkir Redemption Dates
- Downtime for April 1, 2015
- Known Issues for Dragons of Tarkir and Tempest Remastered
- Build Notes
- Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Tempest Remastered Card Gallery and Lead Designer Interview
Tempest Remastered is coming out on Wednesday, May 6, and now the full contents of the set have been revealed! Once you're done poring over the full set of cards, read about what went into creating Tempest Remastered in an interview with its lead designers, Ian Duke and Adam Prosak.
Learn more about Tempest Remastered.
Dragons of Tarkir Streaming Events Begin Tomorrow
To give players a first look at Dragons of Tarkir on Magic Online, we will be hosting a Dragons of Tarkir Preview Draft! To show off the new set, we've invited popular streamers from far and wide to put it through its paces. Watch these players Draft, build their decks, and play with the new set—a great chance to learn some tactics for both Limited newcomers and veterans alike!
Stop on by during both events, one on Wednesday, April 1, at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7), and the second on Thursday, April 2, at 1:00 p.m. Pacific.
For information about which streamers are playing which days, as well as links to their Twitch channels, check out the table below. Luis Scott-Vargas and Kenji Egashira's streams will be hosted on twitch.tv/magic!
All times are Pacific (UTC-7)
|Wednesday, April 1, 6:00 p.m.||Thursday, April 2, 1:00 p.m.|
|Cameron Aldous||Paul Cheon|
|Randy Buehler||Kenji Egashira|
|Thomas Delia||Julian Knab|
|Paul Pires||Frank Lepore|
|Gabe Reale||Scott MacCallum|
|Noah Sandler||Graham Stark|
|Luis Scott-Vargas||Marshall Sutcliffe|
|Trey Van Cleve|
Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease Events Begin Friday, April 3
Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease Events begin Friday, April 3, at 10:00 a.m. and run until Monday, April 6, at 10:00 a.m. Magic Online players will have a chance to draft every Dragon they see in the Prerelease Swiss Draft, or you can choose your clan and pick up the associated "Battle" Prerelease object to compete in two varieties of Prerelease Sealed Events going on throughout the weekend: Competitive and Friendly.
Refer to the full Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease and Release Events article for more details.
Announcing Magic Online Championship Formats and Event Structure
Randy Buehler recently announced the formats and event structure for the Magic Online Championship beginning Friday, May 15, and running through Sunday, May 17. Also, Kenji Egashira (“NumotTheNummy”) and Erich Froehlich will be joining the Magic Online Championship commentary team. You can find the schedule below, or refer to the full article.
- Three rounds of Vintage
- Four rounds of Modern
- Three rounds of DTK/DTK/FRF Draft
- Four rounds of Standard, cut to the Top 4
Semifinals are Standard.
Finals are best of three matches.
- First Match: Vintage
- Second Match: Modern
- Third Match (if necessary): Standard
New Episode of Vintage Super League Tonight
The Vintage Super League pits Magic celebrities against one another with Magic's oldest and most powerful cards as their weapons of choice. Check it out tonight at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on twitch.tv/magic!
For a review of the current state of the league, as well as a look at what's coming up in tonight's episode, head over to Randy Buehler's latest article.
You can also see the league's decklists here. As of Wednesday, March 18, the page has new decklists for the third phase of the Vintage Super League!
Implementing the New Commander Tuck Rule on Magic Online
A recent change to the Commander rules states that, "If your commander would go into the library or your hand, you may choose to put it into the command zone." While this ruling applies to face-to-face Commander, it is not yet implemented in Magic Online. Our current goal is for this ruling change to go into effect on July 24, alongside the launch of Magic Origins Prerelease Events on Magic Online.
Dragons of Tarkir becomes Constructed-Legal April 1, 2015 on Magic Online
With the release of Dragons of Tarkir on Friday, March 27, the set became legal in face-to-face Constructed formats on the same day. Dragons of Tarkir will be Constructed-legal on Magic Online beginning on Wednesday, April 1.
"April 1," you say. "That's before the Prerelease!"
Very true, astute reader. Even though the Magic Online Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease doesn't begin until Friday, April 3, cards that are reprinted in Dragons of Tarkir will be Constructed-Legal after the April 1 downtime—a Magic 2014 Duress, for example.
Pro Tour Qualifiers Switch to Dragons of Tarkir
Once Dragons of Tarkir releases on Magic Online, Limited Pro Tour Qualifier Events will switch to Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged. Decks containing Dragons of Tarkir cards will also be playable in Constructed PTQs starting with the Wednesday, April 8, Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminary.
The full schedule of Pro Tour Qualifiers for Pro Tour Magic Origins can be found here.
Dragons of Tarkir Redemption Dates
Dragons of Tarkir becomes available for redemption on Wednesday, May 6, one month after its digital release. If you collect the whole set on Magic Online, you can exchange it for a full, paper version! If you're interested in redeeming Dragons of Tarkir, don't wait too long because the set won't be available to redeem forever.
Learn more about Magic Online redemption.
Downtime for April 1, 2015
A download is required this week.
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, April 1, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (12:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific(14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
Known Issues for Dragons of Tarkir and Tempest Remastered
- DTK | Blessed Reincarnation does not shuffle target creature owner's library when the first card revealed is a creature.
- Duel Scene | The "Reveal a Dragon" mechanic does not add blue rules text mentioning a dragon has been revealed
- Duel Scene | The "Reveal a Dragon" mechanic does not mention a dragon has been revealed in the Game Log
- General | Lands cannot be played off Hideaway lands
- General | When prompted to discard a card Thirst for Knowledge highlights the drawn cards differently from the cards already in the user's hand.
- Duel Scene | We have introduced a new look for effects on the stack
- General | We have updated the Banned and Restricted list on all Magic Online formats to match this page including the banning of Treasure Cruise in Pauper and Skullclamp in 100-Card Singleton announced here. In addition, we fixed an issue where certain versions of Skullclamp were improperly allowed in formats.
- FRF | We have completely reworked how Archfiend of Depravity works to prevent players from accidentally sacrificing all of their creatures.
- BOK | Genju of the Fields can no longer be attached to any permanent
- EXO | Fixed a display issue with Exalted Dragon that caused a delay in the sacrificed land moving to the graveyard.
- FRF | Courser of Kruphix will no longer display the top card of your library in the middle of resolving Write into Being
- FRF | Flamewake Phoenix now checks for Ferocious on resolution in addition to the attack trigger
- FRF | Monastery Siege's Dragons mode no longer incorrectly taxes when targeting spells on the stack
- FRF | If you cast Write into Being with an empty library, the game no longer locks up
- FRF | We have fixed an infinite loop caused by Channel Harm. If both players have cast Channel Harm, Magic Online will now rotate between players asking if they wish for the prevented damage to be dealt to target creature until one player selects no.
- General | Canceling a partial payment of cumulative upkeep, now returns the mana already paid
- General | Casting tutor effects without legal selections in your library no longer causes the game to lock up. Examples of cards fixed include Congregation at Dawn, Dwarven Recruiter, Goblin Recruiter and Scouting Trek.
- General | Convoke spells are now considered as an available action when a user has used the F8 (Disable Bluffing) hotkey
- General | Fixed a crash that would occur when double blocking a trample creature. This also fixes crash scenarios where a single creature is blocking multiple creatures, one of which has trample.
- General | Fixed a display issue that would cause Auras and Equipment to replicate and/or remain on the battlefield after what they were enchanting had been removed
- General | Fixed a display issue with exiled cards not immediately returning to the battlefield when they should; for instance when killing a Brain Maggot or Banisher Priest
- General | The game no longer locks up when discarding Emrakul, the Aeons Torn during the resolution of Balance
- General | The prompts and workflow for Thirst for Knowledge and Compulsive Research have been reworked
- M15 | Players can now get black mana from pain lands without taking damage when Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth is on the battlefield.
- ME3 | Arcades Sabboth no longer grants a toughness bonus to your opponent’s creatures
- MRD | Chrome Mox can now be activated even if it isn’t imprinting a card
- NPH | Mortis Dogs now properly calculates life loss when it dies
- RAV | Fixed a crash that would occur when using Copy Enchantment to copy a flip creature; for example, a Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant that has been flipped into Rune-Tail’s Essence.
- THS | Fixed some corner case scenarios where Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver’s –X ability would not resolve.
Art and Text Improvements
- General | Mana with special restrictions on usage has been cleaned up for clarity and consistency. Examples of changed cards include Cavern of Souls, Mishra’s Workshop, and Boseiju, Who Shelters All.
- Collection Scene | Planeswalker title bar text in the Collection Scene now displays the same size no matter what position the Planeswalker is in the deck building area
- Duel Scene | The cost for activating Cautery Sliver is now shown in the context menu
- General | Cards that have multiple targets each with a different effect will now display what is occurring more clearly. Examples of changed cards include Winterflame and Incremental Growth.
- General | Creature cards no longer lose their art for the rest of the game when they copy a token through an effect such as Polymorphous Rush, Mirrorweave, and Cytoshape
- General | Description text of cards once again properly resizes when the card size slider is used
- General | For cards that can be played out of Exile, renamed the Exile Zone (Can be Cast) to Exile Zone (Can be Played)
- General | Phyrexian mana symbols now display properly when part of Flashback costs
- General | Spells cast with Buyback will now indicate that the Buyback cost has been paid in italic blue text
- General | The context menu for Urborg, Tomb of Yagmoth has been clarified on all lands to help with the selection process
- General | The prompts associated with Rebound have been cleaned up for clarity
- MMA | Kira, Great Glass-Spinner now grants blue text indicating which creatures have been granted its ability
- PC2 | Shardless Agent now has art and a set symbol in the Collection scene
- ULG | Urza's Legacy version of Ghitu Encampment textbox no longer bleeds into border
- ZEN | Zendikar basic lands no longer have oversized type text and set symbol when expanding the card’s view
March 18-April 1—Legacy Cube Events
March 18-April 1—Rise of the Eldrazi 6-2-2-2 Draft
April 3-April 6—Dragons of Tarkir Prerelease Events
April 6-April 22—Dragons of Tarkir Release Events
April 8-April 10—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
April 11—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
April 8-April 11—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
April 12—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
April 15-April 17—Season 4 Magic Online Championship Series Preliminaries
April 18—Season 4 Magic Online Championship Series Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)