What Is the Magic Online Weekly Announcements Blog?
Every Tuesday, we round up all of the biggest Magic Online news for the Weekly Announcements Blog.
Check in weekly for the latest updates!
- Reimbursement Policy Update
- Modern Festival Starting Soon
- Extending Some Modern Masters 2015 Edition Events
- Announcing July (Season 8) MOCS and MOPR Promos
- New Episode of Standard Super League Tonight
- Qualify for the Dragons of Tarkir Championship
- Magic Online R&D Challenge
- Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
- Upcoming Wizards Account System Maintenance for Monday, June 22
- Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, June 24
- Downtime for June 17, 2015
- Known Issues for Modern Masters 2015 Edition
- Build Notes
- Upcoming Events
- Download Magic Online
Reimbursement Policy Update
Our last Magic Online Reimbursement Policy update was back in October. If you missed it, you can find Robert Schuster's write-up on it here. Since then, we've been listening to customer feedback and re-evaluating the best way to serve Magic Online players. Increased transparency is a priority for the Magic Online team, so we want to share the thinking behind some changes we’ve put together for the reimbursement policy update that we'll be rolling out with the Wednesday, June 17, Magic Online deployment.
Read the full article here.
Modern Festival Starting Soon
Magic Online is having a Modern Festival! Why should you be interested? How about one copy of every set legal in Modern? You can win it through the Modern Festival Finals!
Get the full event details.
Extending Some Modern Masters 2015 Edition Events
Modern Masters 2015 Edition is available on Magic Online now!
In the spirit of the Modern Festival, we're extending the duration of Modern Masters 2015 Edition events! All events listed below will remain active through Wednesday, July 8, instead of their previous end date of the June 17, downtime. Not only will events keep running, but Modern Masters 2015 Edition will also remain on-sale in the Magic Online Store until Wednesday, July 8!
Modern Masters 2015 Edition Events that are being extended through Wednesday, July 8:
- Modern 3-2-1-1 Single Elimination Queue
- Modern, Legacy, and Vintage Constructed 2-Player Queue Prize Changes
- Modern, Legacy, and Vintage Daily Event Prize Changes
- Modern Masters 2015 Edition Phantom Draft
- Modern Masters 2015 Edition Phantom Sealed
- Modern Masters 2015 Edition 6-2-2-2 Draft
- Modern Masters 2015 Edition 8-4 Draft
Check out the updated event schedule article for the full details on Release Events.
Announcing July (Season 8) MOCS and MOPR Promos
The MOCS 2015 July Season runs from June 24, 2015, through July 29, 2015. The promo card is:
The June MOPR period runs from June 24, 2015, through July 29, 2015. Here are the promo cards:
And remember, this means it's your last chance to get the Season 7 MOCS and MOPR promos, like this alternate-art Birds of Paradise.
Earning 15 Qualifier Points (QPs) will earn you a copy of this season's MOCS promo card. You get one promo for every 15 QPs you earn. Players can earn QPs from MOCS Events, PTQ Events, Release Events, and more! Get more details about the Magic Online Championship Series here.
Magic Online Player Rewards (MOPR) promos are earned a bit differently. In the MOPR program, Magic Online players are rewarded for participating in tournamanents of a sufficient size, as well as making purchases in the Magic Online Store. Learn about the specifics of the program here.
New Episode of Standard Super League Tonight
Stop by tonight for a new episode of the Standard Super League! Each week a commentary team of two Magic Hall of Fame members, Randy Buehler and Luis Scott-Vargas, host a single-elimination eight-player tournament where they'll detail the twists and turns along the season's course. The League lineup of Standard experts combined with this commentary team are sure to make the upcoming season a great one. This is the last week before the cut to Top 3, so make sure you don't miss the final episode of the regular season, Tuesday night at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) on twitch.tv/magic!
For a recap at what happened in last week's episode of the Standard Super League, head over to Randy Buehler's latest article.
Remember, we'll be posting each player's decklists for the upcoming episode of the Standard Super League to MTGO.com at 6:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) so that viewers can follow along at home! Stop by tonight to get the week 8 decklists.
Qualify for the Dragons of Tarkir Championship
You might not be able to become a Dragonlord and rule the skies of Tarkir, but you can become a champion who rules at Dragons of Tarkir! The Dragons of Tarkir Championships are coming up on Magic Online.
Some might say (a Dragonlord might say) that Constructed is more of a celebration than a mere format, an elaborate 60-card dance meant to show off Dragons in their purest form. Perhaps you disagree and wish to bring an unequivocally worse deck (a non-Dragon deck) to the Qualifiers. Please join us for the Dragons of Tarkir Standard Championship Qualifiers starting on Wednesday, June 17, 12:30 p.m. Pacific where you can sign up for a slot in which your deck can be put to task by one containing more Dragons than yours. Standard Qualifiers run every three hours, on the half hour, through Tuesday, June 23, 9:30 p.m. Even if you're not able to win your first time out, participation in any Qualifier Event will net players a full-art promo version of Scaleguard Sentinels, a glorious card that is, like all things, better with Dragons. Four or five wins in any Qualifier earns you an invitation to the Finals!
Get the full Dragons of Tarkir Championship event details here.
Magic Online R&D Challenge
Once again, the time has come to rumble with the folks in R&D and earn the sweetest prize of all: bragging rights. That's right, another Magic Online R&D Challenge is coming up on Friday, June 19, at 12:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7). Aside from satisfying clacks on their victory abacuses, R&D competitors will not be eligible to win prizes—their matches will only affect standings. Any prizes Wizards employees win will be distributed evenly among players with 15 match points within five business days of the event's completion.
Behold, the list of competitors!
- Tim Aten
- Melissa DeTora
- Bryan Hawley
- Dave Humpherys
- Jackie Lee
- Alli Medwin
- Adam Prosak
- Robert Schuster
- Yoni Skolnik
- Ryan Spain
- Sam Stoddard
Start Time: Friday, June 19, 12:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7)
Location: Scheduled Events
- Option 1: 10 Event Tickets
Product: A Standard Constructed deck
Size: 32-256 players
Play Style: Swiss
Duration: Five rounds, each round up to 50 minutes.
|5 Wins||12 Dragons of Tarkir booster packs and 6 Fate Reforged booster packs||3|
|4 Wins||6 Dragons of Tarkir booster packs and 3 Fate Reforged booster packs||1|
|3 Wins||3 Dragons of Tarkir booster packs and 2 Fate Reforged booster packs||0|
Double Pro Tour Qualifier Weekend
Attention all Pro Tour hopefuls, there's a double Pro Tour Qualifier (PTQ) weekend coming up! Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries and the Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Qualifier Preliminaries begin tomorrow, June 17, and run through the day preceding each Finals Event.
Learn more about PTQs on Magic Online and get the full schedule here.
Upcoming Wizards Account System Maintenance for Monday, June 22
The Wizards Account System will be undergoing maintenance on Monday, June 22, from 7:00 p.m. Pacific (UTC-7) through Tuesday, June 23 7:00 a.m. Pacific. Customers will be able to file for reimbursement and submit bug reports during this time, but responses will be delayed.
Upcoming Extended Downtime on Wednesday, June 24
There will be an extended downtime on Wednesday, June 24, for Magic Online. Events close at 12:00 a.m. Pacific (07:00 UTC), midnight, and store activity and trades end at 2:45 a.m. Pacific (09:45 UTC) leading up to the system coming down at 3:00 a.m. Pacific (10:00 UTC). The system is estimated to return from downtime at 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC).
Downtime for June 17, 2015
- All tournaments will close Wednesday, June 17, at 5:00 a.m. Pacific (12:00 UTC)
- Store and trade activity will be suspended at approximately 7:45 a.m. Pacific (14:45 UTC)
- The system will be down from 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC) until 12:00 p.m. Pacific (19:00 UTC)
Known Issues for the Modern Masters 2015 Edition Deployment
- Duel Scene | The prompt text where the card states "Choose up to X target... X is currently [#]." States 'zero' when the last valid target is clicked
- Duel Scene | Cannot search for 0 cost equipment with the triggered ability of Taj-Nar Swordsmith
- Duel Scene | Text in the prompt box when casting Commune with Nature reads “Cancel” instead of “No”
- Duel Scene | Necrogenesis continues to associate with cards it exiles
- Duel Scene | Incorrect text for the delayed triggered ability of Otherworldly Journey, does not mention the +1/+1 counter in text
- Duel Scene | Delayed triggered ability of Otherworldly Journey has missing association arrows with the exiled card
- Duel Scene | The prompt box text for Wayfarer's Bauble does not mention that the land enters the battlefield tapped
- General | Fixed an error that was occasionally doubling the amount of product a player received from an order.
- General | Fixed a bug that was causing crashes when a spectator left a game and then tried to spectate again.
- General | Players now have to manually type “DROP” to confirm a drop from invite-only events.
- General | Players trying to chat on the Free Server are now messaged that chat is only available with a full Magic Online account.
- General | Players now receive a more descriptive error message when attempting to join an invite-only tournament to which that player was not invited.
- Collection | Imported decks and binders with names longer than 30 characters are now automatically truncated to 30 characters.
- Duel Scene | Trinisphere has been updated to correctly adjust the costs of spells with replicate or multikicker.
- Duel Scene | Trygon Predator’s trigger has been fixed allowing it to properly destroy enchantments.
- Duel Scene | Eldrazi Spawn can no longer pay for convoke and sacrifice for mana for casting the same spell.
- Duel Scene | Text when changing selections of a card with three differing effects has been updated to prevent any confusion.
- Duel Scene | A user can now undo multiple times with Crucible of the Spirit Dragon and will no longer crash.
- Duel Scene | Unhinged lands with rules text on them function properly when zoomed and do not cause any client crashes.
- Duel Scene | When Golgari Grave-Troll enters the battlefield from the graveyard it now has the correct number of +1/+1 counters on it.
- M15 | Master of Predicaments has been updated to not allow a player to cast spells for free if their opponent guessed correctly.
- MM2 | Players are able to search for 0 cost equipment with the triggered ability of Taj-Nar Swordsmith.
- MM2 | The activated ability of Shrewd Hatchling is now correctly communicated to users through blue rules text.
- MRD | Synod Sanctum appropriately returns opponent’s cards to the proper player.
- MM2 | Apostle’s Blessing appropriately grants protection from Artifacts.
Look and Feel
- Collection | The properties window that displays for binders is now the same size as the window that displays for decks.
- Duel Scene | Planar Chaos alternative art cards now display correctly.
Now-July 8—Modern Masters 2015 Edition Events
June 17-June 19—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Preliminaries
June 17-June 23—Dragons of Tarkir Standard Championship Qualifiers
June 20—Standard Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 9:00 a.m. Pacific (16:00 UTC)
June 20—Dragons of Tarkir Limited Championship Finals 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)
June 21—Dragons of Tarkir/Fate Reforged Sealed Pro Tour Qualifier Finals 7:00 a.m. Pacific (14:00 UTC)
June 24-July 5—Modern Festival Events
June 28—Dragons of Tarkir Standard Championship Finals 8:00 a.m. Pacific (15:00 UTC)