The Commander format is all about picking your hero and building a deck around them. You choose a legendary creature (or a special planeswalker) to serve as your commander and build the rest of your deck around their color identity. (For commanders with partner, you can only choose one.)
Note: This page only applies to Magic Online Commander 1v1. For rules on playing Commander in paper, please visit the Official Commander Rules page.
When building your Commander deck in Magic Online, place the card you want to use as your commander in your sideboard, and then the remaining cards in your main deck using the following rules:
- Exactly 100 cards, including your commander
- You may only have one commander
- Creatures with a partner ability function as if they did not have that ability
- Only one copy of any card, except basic lands
- All cards must be in the color identity of the commander
- Cannot include any cards from the Magic Online Commander 1v1 banned list
In Magic Online Commander 1v1 matches, if you only have one opponent, each player begins the game with 30 life. If you have two or more opponents, then each player begins the game with 40 life. Otherwise, standard Commander rules apply.