In Magic: The Gathering, a Planeswalker is a powerful mage who is able to travel across the planes of existence. There are infinite worlds across the Multiverse, and Planeswalkers are unique in their ability to move from one world to the next, expanding their knowledge and power through the experiences they collect there.
The Spark: One in a Million
One in a million sentient beings are born with “the spark,” the ineffable essence that makes an individual capable of becoming a Planeswalker. Of those born with “the spark,” even fewer “ignite” their spark, enabling them to realize their potential and travel the planes. Most Planeswalkers have their spark ignited as the result of a great crisis or trauma, but every awakening is different. A near-death experience might ignite a Planeswalker’s spark, but so could a sudden, life-changing epiphany or a meditative trance that enables the mage’s grasp of some transcendent truth. There are as many such stories as there are Planeswalkers.
The Blind Eternities
The “Blind Eternities” is a somewhat poetic term for the space between planes. The Blind Eternities are a chaotic, logic-defying place of quasi-existence filled with raw potential called Æther. Only Planeswalkers can survive there, and only for a limited time. Mortal beings without the Planeswalker spark are soon destroyed by raw entropy and uncontained mana that suffuses the Blind Eternities.
The Life of a Planeswalker
After the Planeswalker spark ignites, one has the power to dedicate one’s life to a personal mission, whatever that may be. A Planeswalker’s life is consumed with the exploration of the Multiverse, the discovery of strange secrets and experiences, and the plumbing of the depths of one’s own mystic soul. The life of a Planeswalker is a life of choice and self-determination, unrestricted by the boundaries of world or fate. With the freedom to travel and the power of magic, each Planeswalker has the power to carve his or her name on the face of history.
- Ajani Goldmane, a proud leonin who can see the soul’s light of others.
- Jace Beleren, a young but brooding prodigy of mind-manipulating magic.
- Liliana Vess, a beautiful necromancer with a dark debt to repay.
- Chandra Nalaar, a pyromancer who has big problems with authority.
- Garruk Wildspeaker, for whom revering nature means being a predator.
- Tezzeret, a talented artificer obsessed with the secrets of etherium.
- Sarkhan Vol, a wild shaman who reveres the ferocity of dragons.
- Elspeth Tirel, a youthful knight who seeks a utopian plane to call home.
- Nicol Bolas, an ancient dragon whose knowledge of the Multiverse is matched only by the depths of his evil.
- Nissa Revane, a proud elvish leader who believes her race has dominion over the Multiverse itself.
- Sorin Markov, an ancient vampire who holds the secret to Zendikar's bizarre, fierce ecology.
- Gideon Jura, an honor-bound guardian not afraid to leap into the fray.
- Venser of Urborg, a gifted artificer and teleporter who was the first of a new breed of Planeswalker.
- Koth, a fierce vulshok leader whose geomancy can shape earth and rock into weapons.
- Karn, a silver golem who can wield all five colors of magic created to endure time travel and serve as the key to the Legacy.
- Tamiyo, the Moon Sage, a soratami investigating the moon.
- Tibalt, the student of an Innistrad necromancer.
- Vraska, the Ravnican gorgon.
- Domri Rade, the wild beastmaster of Ravnica who favors ferocity over discipline.
- Ral Zarek, Ral Zarek, the daring and unpredictable lightning mage of Ravnica's Izzet guild.